Debugging DX9 apps in V-Studio

Started by
6 comments, last by Sir_Spritely 21 years, 2 months ago
I''m finding that the more advanced my apps get the more I''m having to debug to solve non-compile errors. The apps are all loaded as a window and I am using MS Vis. Studio 6. The problem I get is when I hit lines from single stepping like, m_pFont = new CD3DFont( _T("Arial"), 12, D3DFONT_BOLD ); I get a nasty message box appear titled Find Source requesting I enter the path for NEW.CPP and a browse window. When I click cancel I get dumped into a load of machine code. Can anyone let me know how they debug their dx9 apps in vis studio please. Any hints/tips appreciated. Thanks, Paul.
Advertisement
you''re going a little too far, when he asks you to enter the file path it''s because that file doesn''t belong to you, it''s already compiled. so don''t mess with it stick to your code, when that appends just step over.

you also my want to do a log file, for each important step write on the file, if you suspect something is not working just read the file to see what is he doing

hope it helps

To be considered a genius you just have to say what everybody knows in a way very few understand
To be considered a genius you just have to say what everybody knows in a way very few understand
You might ignore these machine code (it is the compiled runtime lib of visual c++) and just step up in the call stack with the debugger. Sooner or later you will reach your own code and have a chance to see what false arguments you gave the system functions (if you didn''t really hit a system bug :-) )

If it''s not a function that you wrote, or have the source code to, then just step over it. (I think its F10 instead of F11)

that should do it
I''m finding that when I hit these type of statements in the program that I only find out they bring up this message box when the message box appears. By then you cannot do anything to avoid going into the machine code stuff.

Other than remembering which statement brought about the message box and avoiding the next time is there a way to get rid of the message box and perhaps jump that statement and carry on without having restart. If you catch my drift.

Paul.
quote:Original post by Sir_Spritely
I get a nasty message box appear titled Find Source requesting I enter the path for NEW.CPP and a browse window.

it''s in program files/ms visual studio/vc98/crt/src. happy debugging
I hate when that happens in VS 6. The best thing to do when it does happen is to switch back to the source file where you were previously, and put your cursor at the next line of code and use the "run to cursor" command and you will back in action.

Also, you dont have these problems in VS.net, I just ran that line of code and it took me straight into the actual code. With VS.net I havent yet ever been asked for a source file.

Possibility
I''m still having problems debuggin a DX app. It''s requesting a file called NEW.CPP and I don''t have it on my machine at all.

The posting by niyaw was not right because I dont have the directories on my machine.

Can anyone out there help with ideas how too get around this problem and how to debug a DX app.

Thanks,

Paul.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement