• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mits

Zelda-like game!

This topic is 5595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to build a 2D-Engine to make a Zelda-like game.How can I achieve collision detection like in Zelda?I use ID3DXsprite to draw the rooms.How can I make the character not to walk above the lake and stop where the lake begins? (The lake will consist of several tiles).

Advertisement
In Zelda 1, the world was broken up into tiles and each tile had some attributes such as it''s image, if it''s water, if its solid...ect. so in your game logic, before you move onto a new tile, you need to check these attributes. such as saying, if the next block is solid, don''t let him walk onto it. or if the next block is water, then only let him walk on it if he has the raft...that sort of thing.

in my engine i use two maps, one for tile-id, and one for collision. the last is like a black&white map, it only uses 1''s and 0''s. you can figure out what happens next

.lick

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!