• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Critics, Suggestion , Ideas based on Screenshots...

This topic is 5499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everybody ! I wrote and engine in 3D, and it is my first working one, that kinda resembles a game engine But there are a really lot of things that SUCK ! I know, not too proud of them, but i''m a beginner... So comment, and don''t worry i won''t cry (well at least i don''t think so ) Ok, but now seriossly: i need help to guide me through perfectionalising this piece of work... (3200 lines of code, 7 months development starting from scrap)

Well, what do you think ?

"Find the path, follow the Master... Follow the master, understand the master... Overcome the master !"

Advertisement
A good first attempt. By looking at the screenys, i can see that you need to improve the fog, hele model and blending from the terrain to the sky. Dont ask me how cuz ive just started learning d3d. Prehaps it would give us a better idea if you had a link to the engine so we could view it

EDIT: I just noticed that the framerate is pretty low too

-----
Losec
-----

[edited by - Losec on January 31, 2003 3:30:41 PM]

Very nice job. I like it. Your helicopter model looks a little funky though. Also, how are you rendering your terrain? Brute force? ROAM? CLOD? or are you generating it procedurally? If you are rendering it brute force from heightmaps, I would look into GeoMipMapping (<-I''m using that), ROAM, or CLOD. They can speed things way up in terms of frames per second. It looks to me like you are using one texture on your entire map (could be wrong though), in that case you should look into texture splatting or some other texturing effects.

www.nzcal.com/hp/realmgames

I got the framerate up to 20-25 FPS today. Took me 7 hyours, but it has worth it. Oh ! and the model has more then 2000 polygons
OH ! And my computer is verry SLOOOOOOOOOW !
(350 mhz, 64 MB Ram, nVidia Vanta 16 Mb)

you should also look into a particle engine for rain and snow.

[edited by - greatone on January 31, 2003 3:49:26 PM]

Yup ! Brute force it is...
I also made a verry nice heightmap generator,
and textures are calculated from heights.
I pass 4 LARGE textures to my HeightMap program, and it divides them up into 128x128 images. And every tile is separatly textured, with a small texture.
The problem is, that i couldn''t figure out how to make transitions, so i made all 4 large textures the same: "grass.jpg" -> 1024x1024

The model IS messed up, but fiexed that too, (reduced a few polys, that where wrongly exported)

"Find the path, follow the Master... Follow the master, understand the master... Overcome the master !"

Ok ! Two questions :

1.) What is Geo Mip Mapping ?
2.) If i use low res textures, does it speed up my rendering.
Because i did this, and didn't even got 1 lousy FPS neither...

[edited by - Dark_Guy on February 1, 2003 6:12:10 PM]

• Advertisement