PHP Game Dev

Started by
4 comments, last by gonzo 21 years, 2 months ago
I''m doing some research and wanted to get the communities feelings on this one. What do you guys think of PHP Game Dev.? Is it viable? Do you see a market for it? Look forward to hearing your thoughts Matt
Matt
Advertisement
hmmmmmmmmmmmm, depends if you can use the Graphics APIs i suppose, like GL or DirectX ... but i doubt it

-----
Losec
-----
they do have several API''s do create graphics on the fly..the most common is GD

Matt
Matt
Any body else have any feelings about this?

Matt
Matt
I think it's alright if you are doing turn based games.

it's ok for multiplayer games look at phprpg etc etc.

I think there is a robot wars game made using it.

it's area might be using it to make WAP games.

I am using it for a couple of projects but I think I am going to go down the Java road now but not because of PHP but because I don't like refreshing pages and can't afford flash.

ah thats another point flash can connect to PHP scripts and is used alot for mutli player flash games. also if you are feeling daring you could right a socket server in PHP and use that with the XML sockets in flash for realtime flash multiplayer games.

[edited by - themonkster on February 3, 2003 4:30:18 PM]
While PHP is a GREAT web language (I really love it), I think it is a very poor idea to write a 3D game in it. Or even a 2D game, that requires nice art, maybe some color keying, alpha blending, etc. As for using it for a game server, I guess it works if you don''t need to many players at the same time.

Height Map Editor | Eternal lands

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement