Question on SDL with OS X (license issue)

Started by
4 comments, last by Belboz 21 years, 2 months ago
I want to port a program I wrote in DirectX to SDL so I can run it on Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows with one unified codebase. I was planning on releasing Binaries for the three platforms. I''m not quite ready for a source release for this project because it is pretty sloppy. Because of this I am concerned about the complying with SDL''s LPGL license. I know to comply with their license I must only dynamically link with their SDL library. I''ve looked at the FAQ for the OS X port of SDL and it mentions only Project builder can be used to build the SDL Framework, and the Unix system builds a static version of the library. Does anyone know if the Project Builder framework builds a dynamically linked application, or a statically linked app? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
I have a similar issue too.
But I think it links dynamically on Linux, since the compiled size is about the same as in Windows, and in windows it uses the DLLs. Try to move the sdl .so files somewhere else, and see if the game still works

Height Map Editor | Eternal lands
I am pretty sure that it dynamically links on OS X, because I''ve heard of games not working because the library isn''t installed.
So in Windows you can''t link against the .lib file? You have to all that stuff with loading dynamic libraries?
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
Why not just release the source files without any project/make files. The licences only dictate that the source should be available not, that any help compiling it should be present.

Btw, with normal compilation using g++/gcc and the -lSDL option, im pretty sure it links dynamicly.
Well I will release source for this test project at some point, but my eventual goal is to port a couple other games I have done in DirectX to SDL. For some of those I don''t want to release source. So to comply with the license I have to dynamically link to the SDL library.

I wasn''t sure exactly how the SDL Framework for Project Builder worked so I was hoping someone else here could confirm the dynamic/static thing.

Hopefully someone can chime in here with first hand knowledge of the situation, but if not I guess I can try to kill the library as someone suggested and see if it still works. Just not sure where it is located!

I will post a follow up here if I find out before someone can chime in with a definite answer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement