Opinion Poll

Started by
15 comments, last by Tiso 23 years, 11 months ago
1 - question is very vague ... quick answer, it expands your horizons, this is good
2 - yes, but that is unlikely to happen
3 - definitely
4 - they are creating a game no one else has created before. it gives these companies monopoly over their little genre. i wouldn''t be interested in playing games where you are the mobster, but lots of people would. if they join the mob in a video game instead of real life, thats a good thing
5 - games oversimplify things too much. games are designed to be fun and addictive. you think designing a city is only about partitioning land into resdential, commercial and industrial zones? it''s a good start, i guess. but it is NOWHERE near what it is in real life.
6 - i don''t know which games are best left unamde, because they haven''t been made yet!
7 - is this the same question as #1? anyhow, games are not reality, so they are limited in the way they can influence your personality. the best example i can find is Gran Turismo, which depicts cars with such realism that you might treat it as a real simulator. i know for a fact that I bought my car in real life based a lot on how it performed in Gran Turismo!
8 - definitely. lots of older people don''t understand what a video game is and trust the media 100% ...
Advertisement
1. Do you think video games are benifical to your mind?

Yes. (Hand-eye coordination, patience, literacy, attention, math, etc etc etc...)

2. If school work was as fun and enjoyable as playing video games, would you like to do it?

Well yes. And if cleaning toilets was as fun as playing video games, I''d do a lot more of that too. Surely anyone will do whatever is most fun, given the opportunity? Weird question

3. Do you think video games effect people psychologically whether it be good or bad?

Yes. Anything you perceive affects you psychologically. The question is, ''how much?''

4. Do you think contraversally video games like Gangsters: Organized Crime and Mob promote unlawful actions or are they trying to give an experience that couldn''t normally be found in reality?

Both. The relative effects depends on the viewer/game player.

5. Do you think some video games could or should be used in school like Sim City and Roller coaster Tycoon, which both teach money management skills?

I don''t know about ''should be'' used in schools, nor for money management (they''re a bit simplistic), but they are certainly educational.

6. Do you think some video games are best left unmade (You can go anywhere with this one)?

Perhaps games that glorify events that are almost universally accepted as being ''wrong'', such as one where you ran a Nazi death camp.

7. Do you think video games effect your personallity and those around you whether it be positive or negative?

Yes. This is question 3 again, no?

8. Do you think some people are paranoid towards video games and don''t really look at them before making their opinion?

Certainly. The same goes for many of the other scapegoat activities. Older people see the difference between when they were young and now, and like to attribute the degeneration in society to video games, rock music, movies, etc etc. Maybe it''s actually just cos they are in charge of society now, rather than the more responsible people who went before them
Thanks guys! More more information for me! I predict and A! LOL Thanks everyone.
1. The ''mind'' is rather broad, but in general games have both positive and negative effects, although the positives out-weigh the negatives by far.
2. Yep
3. Nope... I for one cannot remember ever being ''affected'' emotionally one way or the other by any game i''ve played...
4. They do not promote unlawful actions... as you suggest, they can be used as an experience, as the majority of games can.
5. Not yet... there are not enough games with true ''educational'' merit to be of any real benefit in schooling.
6. No... I don''t believe in censorship, especially in the games area. If a game crosses moral limits it will be rejected by the public, fail and die.
7. Same as answer 3... nope.
8. Most definately. Many people do not understand games, and find it far easier to lay all the blame for the corruption in the world on games like Doom, most of the time having no idea what the said game is about... one journalist once thought the idea of doom was to go around killing babies... Not quite ... (She''d never played it of course )

Nick - Head Designer, Llamasoft.net

--
Visit our website...

Llamasoft.net
Games, goodies, and ingenuity
Nick - Head Designer, Llamasoft.net--Visit our website...Llamasoft.netGames, goodies and ingenuity
1. yes, stimulates quick thinking, and strategy/logistics,
and causes those brain muscles to flex
2. of course
3. definitely
4. early in life, it''s an influence, later on in life, it''s a release. you really have to learn morals elsewhere, like from parents....
5. sim city would be cool in schools, and there''s this game capitalism that i''ve heard is good too, and flight sims would be okay too. and maybe even some of those caesar games or something. just games without guns.
6. left unmade? what good is a game if it''s eternally in beta version? oh, no, wait, "unmade" not "unfinished" hmmm. what good is an idea if it''s eternally a dream?
7. yes, it affects reasoning, speed, efficiency
8. yes.
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
quote:Original post by Tiso

1. Do you think video games are benifical to your mind?

Well, it depends on what we mean as BENEFICAL. They are quite "relaxing" if I''m in a job-overload. However, some of them are really mind-bombing...

2. If school work was as fun and enjoyable as playing video games, would you like to do it?

I like school work... However, I think that the main thing that makes videogaming funny is that we may choose when to do it.

3. Do you think video games effect people psychologically whether it be good or bad?

Al least for a little time (and with small effects) they do effect people psyche.

4. Do you think contraversally video games like Gangsters: Organized Crime and Mob promote unlawful actions or are they trying to give an experience that couldn''t normally be found in reality?

I don''t think they are more influent than films...

5. Do you think some video games could or should be used in school like Sim City and Roller coaster Tycoon, which both teach money management skills?

It could be good thing. However, they take a too long time to be played during scholl-time...

6. Do you think some video games are best left unmade (You can go anywhere with this one)?

No. Every game is an unique product. It always have some meaning and purpose.

7. Do you think video games effect your personallity and those around you whether it be positive or negative?

No so much... I think...

8. Do you think some people are paranoid towards video games and don''t really look at them before making their opinion?

Yes, some people have many prejudices on videogames (as on any other thing).

That''s it. Remember, be honest, please.

As much as I can...

Bye,

Karmalaa

---[home page] [[email=karmalaa@inwind.it]e-mail[/email]]
Thought I''d contribute:

1)Depends on the game, but many yes. Many games require inovative tactics and strategic thinking on the part of the player. Logic and puzzle solving are also common activities.
2)Any learning can be made fun.
3)Not really, the person''s personality and psychological state play the larger role. You can''t make a killer out of a librarian by making them play Quake. Games may affect (good or bad) dispositions that already exist but create them, no.
4)I have no problem with them, but they should be viewed only by adults, etc.
5)Games often focus more on gameplay than reality. I doubt the titles mentioned could help learn to get my money together. Stategic thinking though....yes.
6)Certainly there is a line there at some point for all of us.
7)As said, my feel my personality is from who I am not because of the games I play. I enjoy them, so on the relaxation level that''s a positive but as for lasting impresion on my personality that''s me and me only. I was myself before I picked up a mouse. A game certainly didn''t mold me. Hope that makes sense.
8)Absolutely. The media''s facts on games are often wrong and the thought that clicking a mouse can make a trained killer is not only silly its downright idiotic. We, as a society in the US, love to find blame. Of course its perferrably not ourselves and with the recent violence issues that is exactly who is to blame (referring to parents that is).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement