• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stodge

Which do you prefer - OpenAL or FMod?

This topic is 5743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Which do you prefer to use for a non-commercial project: OpenAL or Fmod? What experiences do you have with them, and what are your thoughts? Of course, feel free to post about any alternatives. Thanks! [edited by - stodge on January 31, 2003 5:30:55 PM]

Advertisement
I have very, very brief experience with both. I tried to use OpenAL first, had a lot of trouble getting the audio to play right, and could only load wav files. Switched to fmod and in a few hours could play all sorts of files in different ways and had a nice clean little wrapper for it. I wasn''t using positional audio though.
Someone more experienced should give their opinion. I never looked all that hard at it. fmod was just really, really easy to get something basic working quickly with.

------------
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155
"It''s all part of the conspiracy of conspirators conspiring to conspire their own conspiracies..."

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!