• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Faze

Personal server name?

This topic is 5738 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are the steps in getting my own server IP such as "useast.battle.net"? It''s a very newbish question, but I''ve been programming for years now, and I''m just getting around to multiplayer programming (I''m slow). Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
How much do you want to pay and what kind of server connection do you have?

The "normal" way is that you have a completely static IP address (never changes), and you register ($$$) your chosen domain name and point it to that IP.

The other way would be to get a free service like no-ip.com/no-ip.org, which gives you a free subdomain (yourname.no-ip.org) and a the ability to change what IP it points to. (they have a software package you can run that will automatically direct it to your new IP each time it changes)

I''m willing to pay like 50 bucks a month, and I''m running a cable connection, so I don''t think that the IP changes. Who could I call to register a domain? Thanks for the help.

Guest Anonymous Poster
www.register.com

i have cable, and my IP changes every once in a while. i am not sure how often, but they definitely aren''t static.

So how do the modern gaming companies do it? What connection do they use? Also, when I register a website domain, can that be used as the server IP? Thanks.

[edited by - Faze on February 1, 2003 2:39:10 AM]

they generally use lan connections...

pop the server into a datacenter and connect it the backbone (ussually with one or more 100mbit ethernet connections).

of course there are other ways.... heres some info.

Most cable connections are not static ips, rather they just don''t always change. So while it may appear that your ip is static, if you watch it it will probably change in the nieghborhood of oncce per month to once per year. Additionally, most cable connections do not allow you to run servers such as you propose legally, nor do they give you the bandwidth you would need if it became at all popular.

As stated above, you need to register your domain, and then have nameservers pointing that domain to your server''s ip. For your server, you have a variety of options, depending on how popular you think this may get. If you can find a shared virtual hosting compnay that would allow you to run your program, then that may work. Most shared virtual hosts are aimed at personal and small business websites, with things like mail and databases to work with. They typically have a couple standard setups in a few different price classes, and thats what you get. You have no control over the server, and that server hosts X number of other accounts similar to your own. You can get better setups where you get your own server, where you have more control but pay lots more $$$. You can get setups where the server is running multiple copies of the OS and you get one copy all to your self to administer as you please. This isn''t quite as much as a completely private server, but you get less CPU time. With both of these options come the invitation of lots more work just admin''ing the box. Finally, there are places where you can buy a connection and rackspace. You basically purchase a server they make for you or put one together that fits in the space they''ll allocate to you, and you pay a monthly fee for a connection (or multiple connections) at varying speeds. You admin your box completely, and run whatever you want on it. You''d have to look into base monthly fees plus additional fees (primarily extra bandwidth) for all of these options and figure out what you can afford and what would actually work for your situation, since we don''t know any details.

Check out dotster.com for domain registration, I had good luck with them.

As for the other''s, there are lots of sites that rate various types of hosting companies based on prices, customer feedback, and packages. Search through google.

Hope that helps, and was what you were looking for.

The Tyr project is here.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!