• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Californium

This Forum Gets Absolutely No Traffic

This topic is 5760 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Voice Of Tango
I want to talk about the GBA but there''s noone here...

You''d be surprised how many people read this forum. I do regularly, and it seems that thre are quite a few others like me. Thing is, we just don''t have much to say most of the time. If you have any questions or something, go ahead and ask. Give this forum a purpose for once.

It''s just that this forum is best suited for console specific questions, and as such there aren''t many posts.

-Arek the Absolute

Consider:

1) 99% of console hardware is covered by NDAs, it isn''t intended to be developed by "hobbyists", so none of the many professional game developers reading can give _proper_ answers without getting into legal trouble.

2) Far far less people are involved in the hobbyist side of consoles than with with the PC - so the other forums get tons more visitors.

3) Generally people turn to console/handheld development when they''ve become bored with hobbyist PC development, this particularly applies to those who are doing any "pioneering" stuff without the official docs. Many people who have turned to coding on consoles/handhelds don''t need much help (i.e. can already program and are discovering stuff for themselves)

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by S1CA
Consider:

1) 99% of console hardware is covered by NDAs, it isn''t intended to be developed by "hobbyists", so none of the many professional game developers reading can give _proper_ answers without getting into legal trouble.

2) Far far less people are involved in the hobbyist side of consoles than with with the PC - so the other forums get tons more visitors.

3) Generally people turn to console/handheld development when they''ve become bored with hobbyist PC development, this particularly applies to those who are doing any "pioneering" stuff without the official docs. Many people who have turned to coding on consoles/handhelds don''t need much help (i.e. can already program and are discovering stuff for themselves)

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
<A HREF="http://www.creative-asylum.com">www.creative-asylum.com</A>

In complete honesty I''ve rarely seen many posts here that are serious. It''s either one of the following

A) Where can I get a (console name) development kit and how much does it cost?

B) I want to make a game for the (console name) but don''t know c/C++ what do I do?

Then of course there are some serious posts but they are often rather obscure IE:

C) I''m having difficulty using the DMA on the GBA. It''s not drawing a pixel where it should can anyone help?

Although the above is a serious question in all likely hood it''s not going to be answered because it''s rather obscure and more likely than not someone would need to actually debug the source code to find the error.

Not putting anyone down here but it doesn''t seem to me like there is much serious talk going on in this forum, so for the most part the people with knowledge on the subject just sit back and wait for a serious post to participate in.

Hello all, Was wondering if someone could give me the detailed steps to being a console(PS2,GBA,XBOX,GCube) programmer. I am taking C++ and Java in high school now, and I will be attending the University of Massachusetts in the fall. I will be majoring in Comp Sci. But I wanna get a little head start over the summer.
What are some things I should be reading right now, to get me prepared for console programming (books, websites, magazines)??
Any certain specialty areas I should focus on??
Thanx for the response ^_^

Hello P42arAsia,

Information can be your friend. Too much of it can also drive you insane. Rule number one is to understand that you will never be able to know every single thing there is to know about console programming.

ONCE YOU GET THAT OUT OF THE WAY...

Things get interesting quick.

If you want to get up to speed on what it takes to program, check out websites like this one (read the articles and postmortem documents about game creation). Hop on a console-specific forum and start learning about the internal specifications of the console of your choice.

When you have an idea as to what you want to program for, and are confident that you will program hard to make it a reality, start figuring out how to program for the system with the tools you have (or get more tools).

For example, I''ve chosen to learn how to program for the GBA. Websites I can visit for inspiration, technical articles:

http://www.gbadev.org
http://www.devrs.com/gba
http://www.gameboy-advance.net

Websites which contain links to relevant game programming info (in general):

http://www.gamasutra.com

I will need to search for specific tools necessary to program for the GBA. So, I look through posts in gba-specific forums, websites, and such, to grab the necessary files to start programming. This may involve configuring a development environment like Visual C++ for GBA programming, which in my case is what I use.

One imperatively important disclaimer:

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Companies might frown on you for making software that works on their consoles for yourself without their knowledge. They will rip you up if you try to sell that same software (along with those who will let you know if you are borrowing their code).

Other than that, that is a pretty good start. Keep posting online, great way to get assistance from others when you are down, need help with code, etc.

God bless you, hope this helps!
-slippers2k

Attack life''s problems like a Subaru... with all four wheels

Wow, that was really really helpful. I have VC++ on my comp and home and have been using that mostly.
But like right now, should I be reading any books, or making sure I know a certain CPU language really well??
I have read C++ for Dummies
C for Dummies
And then I am using three text books at school: Litvin and Litven C++ for You++
Knowlton''s Programming TextBook
And a online Textbook for my Java class.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!