• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KDE or GNOME?

This topic is 5488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Why not just try them both, and see which one you like more? After all, it''s really just a matter of personal preference.

you can install them both
so install them both
and try each one out
that way you wont have to do a re-install if you dont like one of them

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T

you should avoid asking questions like this, its almost always a personal thing and you have to try them and decide for yourself. see also d3d vs opengl, win vs linux vs mac, boxers vs briefs, etc...

I''d vote for OpenGL, Linux, briefs (i don''t trust boxers. I mean, what happens if I decide to prop my feet up? Woooo!), and Gnome. But that''s just me. I also like analog watches better than digital watches. And it''s ketchup, not catsup. CRT, not LCD. DTS, not DD. AMD, not Intel. nVidia, not ATI. C++, not C (in general, anyways). NBC, not ABC.

What am I doing up? I need some sleep.

quote:
Original post by BradDaBug
briefs (i don''t trust boxers. I mean, what happens if I decide to prop my feet up? Woooo!)
Wear some trousers!

I''ve tried the latest version of KDE (3.1, just released a few days ago). And while it LOOKS cool, that''s about the end of anything good about it. I get all kinds of problems, like Konqueror crashing whenever I try to use it as a file manager. I still prefer GNOME (2, of course), but if there''s ever a bugfix of KDE 3.1, I''ll give it another try.

Ok I''ll try that. Thanks. I think that KDE will win if it comes down to looks () because I have the Aqua (OS X) skin and the Aqua Fusion icons. Very sexy.

By the way: I started developing for Linux last night. I did some basic vi coding, gcc compiling, made some makefiles, and tarred some stuff. Man that is as fun as hell! Doing simple stuff like makefiles and gcc compiling is a nice break from pressing the build button in MSVC++!

From a programming perspective I''ve heard that Qt is easier to understand than the GTK (Qt is the toolkit and programming interface used for many KDE apps, and GTK is the toolkit used for creating Gnome programs) but I haven''t done any myself. I have briefly looked at some of the documentation, and they both seem similar, so I''m not really sure.

Alot of the debate about KDE Gnome also seems to be a philosophical one, as Gnome is a more "pure" open-source desktop solution, whereas KDE has its roots in a commercial company (Qt is owned by Trolltech, GTK is an opensource API).

I personally happen to like Gnome a little more, but it does seem a bit less intuitive than KDE and not as well integrated. I personally think Gnome is nicer looking, even though you''ll see a lot more flashy themes and skins for KDE (for some reason, I just don''t like most of the icons in KDE). I actually tend to use enlightenment more than anything else, and one of these days I''d like to get Fluxbox to install on my system, but I can''t seem to get it to work.

Aren''t they merging into a single company/gui producer now anyways? I think the newest KDE was jointly producet.. but don''t hold me to that. I personally used KDE when I had linux installed, but i''ve used knome also, and both worked just as well.

Aren''t they merging into a single company/gui producer now anyways? I think the newest KDE was jointly producet.. but don''t hold me to that. I personally used KDE when I had linux installed, but i''ve used knome also, and both worked just as well.

Guest Anonymous Poster
No.

I used KDE on slack and mandrake

I use gnome now on debian.

gnome is being nice, kde was being nice

I figure I justpl ain use more gtk apps that qt, so why have the bloat sitting there. (xchat gaim etc...)

hmmm im getting mixed results here. What will you guys say if i threw in Enlightenment and WindowMaker etc.? I know it''s just personal preference, but what do you prefer? Thanks.

Enlightenment is pretty cool. There are a couple of things that I like about WM, but overall, I dislike it.

I was looking at screenshots of Enlightenment and it looked kind of ugly. What is so cool about Enlightenment? I''m wondering about this, as a friend also recommended it to me. Thanks.

I like enlightenment, but there hasn''t seemed to be any progress done on it in a long time (admittedly I haven''t checked out their CVS access...but I''m not comfortable enough with Linux to install bleeding edge software). I admit I pretty much stick with Gnome with the H20 theme . Personally I think it''s better than any of the Liquid, Keramik or Noia themes which are all the rage...I do wish people would stop making Mac OSX clones and come up with something new....even if the H20 port is YAMOSXC (yet another mac osx clone).

I''d really like to try fluxbox, but for the life of me, I can''t figure out how to get it put in the menu option when GDM starts up. I suppose I can tinker with the xinitrc script, but I don''t want to hose anything.

But check out their website and it looks like blackbox, but with some added tweaks and a little bit of Gnome support.

I''d install both so if you have programs that use KDE or GNOME libraries, you can run them. For use, I''d suggest KDE only because it seems to run a lot faster than GNOME.

KDE faster than GNOME??? You''ve got to be kidding me. Every version of KDE I''ve ever used has been considerably slower than GNOME.

Also, as for Enlightenment, the default themes aren''t really that great, but there''s a plethora of user-created themes, many of which are the definition of "pwnage".

quote:
Original post by Dauntless
I''d really like to try fluxbox, but for the life of me, I can''t figure out how to get it put in the menu option when GDM starts up. I suppose I can tinker with the xinitrc script, but I don''t want to hose anything.

I was having issues with getting kdm to recognize Gnome and Fluxbox as well. Then I found out about kdmupdate or something along those lines. Apparantly that was all that was needed.
As for getting GDM to see them, I haven''t used GDM but I imagine that it might edit the same/similar files?

Anyway, your desktop IS your personal preference. I am currently using KDE 2.1, but I installed Gnome and Fluxbox yesterday to try them out.
KDE is more integrated and complete, whereas Gnome is much nicer when it comes to choices...at least from what I heard. I believe that it is not its own Window Manager, so you would need to specify some Window Manager to be used with Gnome.
Fluxbox(which I haven''t used but I have seen), enlightenment (which I have used), and a number of "ugly" window managers are great for speed which means good for laptops.
My friend has a laptop and he runs fluxbox on it. None of the frills and such of KDE. Whether that is good or not is up to you.
But personally if you want a more MS Windows experience, KDE seems to be more like Explorer than Gnome is. Again, figure out what you want.

Ok, I''ve been looking at some window managers, such as Blackbox, Enlightenment, Window Maker, and FVWM. I have a question to ask though. All of the previous window managers are listed under window managers, where KDE and GNOME are listed under Desktops. Am I missing something here? What is the difference between the two?

What window manager do you like the best? Do you think I should just batch download them and try them? I tried to download KDE3.1 but there were like 1000 files to download. Do you know how I can get a window manager in Debian 3.0? Will apt-get work? Thanks.

A window manager manages windows. A desktop environment is more or less a whole experience (panels, desktop, file manager, et cetera).

quote:
Original post by elendil67
Do you know how I can get a window manager in Debian 3.0? Will apt-get work? Thanks.

Assume apt-get can get everything for you. If it can''t, then try to get it independently. Like I''ve said, the less you install in Debian that doesn''t use dpkg, the better the chances are that you''ll never run into any problems with Debian.

Some of KDE 3.1 hit Sid (unstable) two days ago, the rest is on its way (it could be in right now, I haven''t checked). This is the first official KDE 3.x release for Debian, so it may be a little buggy (that''s why it''s in Sid, of course).

So I am assuming that Enlightenment/Blackbox/Fluxbox, a window manager, is like the basis for a desktop, such as GNOME? And then GNOME uses Enlightenment/Blackbox/Fluxbox as sort of the basis? I am really confused . Does anyone have a link to some sort of FAQ on this or anything? I think I might Google it. Thanks.

Ok I think I have figured out what they are. link. So I think I might try GNOME and Enlightenment or Fluxbox. Those I like.

• Advertisement