• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tresspassor

opengl animating 3d objects... or using bitmaps

This topic is 5680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Currently I''m working on a game. Unfortunatly I''ve hit a brick wall. Here is a screenshot: http://www.halogenbleach.com/new_ss_1.jpg Now, I can basically finish this game in every aspect except for one really frustrating area: Animation. My conclusion is that I need to build him in a 3d program such as 3ds max, and then import the 3ds file and animate it using opengl. The problem is I don''t know where to start with this. I read through a few character animation tutorials but I decided it wasn''t a good idea to spend a few hours building a model if I don''t even know if it will work correctly once I import it (hah, actually I decided that a few hours AFTER working on a model). So in short, this is what I need to know, and any help would be greatly appreciated. #1 How to create a model with moving parts (that will work in opengl). Preferably in 3ds max... or if its in a freeware program. #2 How to export / import that model into c++ #3 How to give actions to the various segments I think that''s it.. but then again I don''t know :D Once again, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
Well, I don't know anything about 3DS Max, but I read two tutorials at www.gametutorials.com, and they tell you how to load a 3DS model and animate it using C++ and OpenGL. They're excellent. Just click on the link, then on Tutorials, and follow the OpenGL link.

You might also need to look up some information on keyframe animation, quaternions (they like quaternions over at gametutorials), the 3DS file format and linear interpolation...

Nice (but wierd) looking demo, by the way...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on February 1, 2003 1:25:09 AM]

If you dont want to pay dollars for 3dsm, download MilkShape3d (easy to use for beginners) and search the net for simple beginner tutorials. (I think I saw one on nehe.gamedev.net)

By the look of it you're using a 2d api so you can't use opengl as well as whatever you are using. What you can do is still do all the character animation in whatever modeling program you choose to use and then render each frame of the animation to a file. You can then load all these files up and use them to create your animated character. Oh milkshape can't do rendering. For a good 3d modeler that can try

Blender

The learning curve is bit steep but you can do some good stuff with it. Oh it's completely free btw

[edited by - Monder on February 1, 2003 12:28:48 PM]

Hey thanks for the replies.

I''ll check out these gamedev tutorials. I didn''t even notice them as I joined this forum through NeHe productions.

By the look of it you''re using a 2d api so you can''t use opengl as well as whatever you are using.

Actually I am using opengl to create the background.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!