• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cat_B

#of terrain vertices at which displaylists will speed

This topic is 5740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a 256x256 vertices textured heightmap. Nothing else. And the exact same framerate with or without using a displaylist. (am doing no culling yet). At what point would a display list speed things up? I've tried both single texture and 2-textured (using the arb extension). Does 15 & 10 fps for single & 2 texture sound reasonable for this number of vetices? I'm on a 1.6 P4, ATI Radeon 8500, 512 MB DDR Thanx Also, when you do culling, how many rendered vertices do you generally aim for? [edited by - Cat_B on February 1, 2003 2:14:43 AM]

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Cat_B
Hi,

I have a 256x256 vertices textured heightmap. Nothing else. And the exact same framerate with or without using a displaylist. (am doing no culling yet). At what point would a display list speed things up? I''ve tried both single texture and 2-textured (using the arb extension). Does 15 & 10 fps for single & 2 texture sound reasonable for this number of vetices? I''m on a 1.6 P4, ATI Radeon 8500, 512 MB DDR

Thanx

Also, when you do culling, how many rendered vertices do you generally aim for?

[edited by - Cat_B on February 1, 2003 2:14:43 AM]

definetly not.. i''m using a 1800++ 256 ddr s3 32 mb video card and with a heightmap of 1024 by 1024 .. using glVertex to draw i get about 40 fps

It seems to me that you are doing a lot of equations every frame.The idea is to store everything and just call it every frame instead of calculating it!!!Try to store the vertices in float array(float vertices[3 * num_vertices]) and then use a mixture of OpenGL vertex and texcoord pointers and display lists.The 3DS loader of my engine works this way and i promise that the results will be outstanding!!!

The PAIN is coming...this summer!!!In cinemas everywhere.

I get ~40 FPS on a XP1700 and a GF2 GTS. A heightmap of 256*256, yet no texturing or any form of LOD (as I haven''t implemented that yet)

with DLs (as well as with vertex arrays) u dont wanna go over a limit (usually about 4000 vertices) going over this limit will severly affect performance.
thus u need to break the terrain intio smaller chunks

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/kea/kea.html
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

edit: Holy Chit- I just heard about the Columbia!!!! (and here I'm worried about vertices..)

Thank you for the tips...

Mihail121:
I'm putting them into an array, thanx- not finished. BUT, I really wasn't doing that many calculations: my poly's are only quads so I just have a double for loop and I add on the map spacing each time- that's it. Well, I was also calculating the normals, but I've since pre-calculated them and put them in an array and I see no difference in frame rate.

Structural:
with no texturing, I get 24 fps. But I have lighting-if I omit glNormal(), I get 30 fps. Are you using lighting? Also I am just generating quads, not quad strips. And each frame I transform (for cruising around):
glTranslatef(-xpos,-ypos,-zpos);
glRotatef(rotx,1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);
glRotatef(-roty,0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);
glRotatef(-rotz,0.0f,0.0f,1.0f);

zedzeek:
Thank you for the tip on max vertices in a display list and vertex array. I was thinking an array of 3x256x256=196,608 (.8MB)floats was a little large..., not sure- I've never used arrays this big.

[edited by - Cat_B on February 1, 2003 4:44:41 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!