• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inpho

Text RPG

This topic is 5675 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, This is my first post. I''ve been looking for an active forum, and this place appears to be just that..I started programming in Qbasic, of course starting out with wanting to make a simple TEXT RPG..Almost two years and seven unfinished attempts later, I''m now working on another, this time in C++. While my other two in C++ were a giant step from my Qbasic days. Each one outdating the other. My newest is now Object Orientedish, and with alot more experience behind it..But what im somewhat stuck on now is making a decent battle engine, this time its not just a random number and your attack, minus a random number and their defense.. But I cant really figure out a good one, IF anyone can lend their ideas, perhaps a dice system or something dealing with the main attributes I am using, Strenght, Wisdom, Dexterity, Damage, Accuracy.. I hope this makes any sense. I look forward to using this forum alot, and thanks in advance. If you want to help out, or maybe need help on a project you can also try Emailing me at, foxglow17@hotmail.com Inpho

Advertisement
I''d suggest a system I call ''weighted dice.'' Quite simply, you have your random-number-times-attack/defence thing, but you add other factors to the equation.

A damp room could make your armour rusty and therefore less defensive.

A magic ring could make your sword more effective.

If you''re hungry or tired, or have low morale, your attack rating goes down.

And so on and so on. All you do is add more and more factors to the battle system, and what you should end up with is something which can be quite readily affected by the way you play. Keeping your character happy and healthy will give better results in battles, and vice versa.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

quote:
Original post by superpig
A damp room could make your armour rusty and therefore less defensive.

I presume you mean "effective". In any case, if your armour starts rusting and weakening (significantly) the moment you enter a damp room, I''d suggest you try getting your money back.

i agree with superpig.

u could also extend the system to have certain characteristics like sword skill affect the way a player fights.....and the more times he fights with a sword the higher the level he gets, in turn getting a higher attack

Maybe you can create a secondary skill system where fighters learn a number of offensive and defensive moves each having varying effects.
for example you can have creature based skills like Goblin Fighting which increase your fighting abilities against this particular type of monsters.
You can have Terrain based skills like desert and forest fighting.

A more complex approach would be to have different offensive and defensive moves affect each other differently. Your character learns different moves and chooses an offensive portfolio with his favourite moves included. This portfolio could work real well against one type of monster or player but not against another simply because they use different moves.

The character can also create different portfolios for different situations. (e.g. a portfolio for mass battles vs. a portfolio for duels with master swordsmen).

Peace out!

superpig - That ''weighted dice'' thing is a great idea, but im afraid that too many factors = too many problems, but I am working on it on paper, and will most likely use alot of this idea.

Miserable - lol..

Kuladus - This is a great idea, it makes me think, if a levelless RPG could happen, what i mean is, the character doesnt really gain levels, but perhaps the equipment he uses goes up in levels, with more experience with them.. Which enable him to use them better, more damage, etc,.. Thanks for your input, it really gave me another spin to look at..

SecondBest - I was thinking about this pre-forum, and I am still planning on having a type of secondary skill tree type thing, but the portfolio idea is very clever. Im not sure if i want to encorporate this in this game, but I have another, Arena type game, where its a collection of 1v1 battles, while upgrading weapons, armors, etc.. I think this could be cool for this type of game.. Before each battle you setup your portfolio, depending on the type of Creature you are up against next.

All great ideas, and each has provided me alot more ideas, Thank you all, and I hope they keep coming.

Inpho

This is just off the top of my head, but here goes:

- You first make an agility check (dexterity check for you, I guess) to see if the attack hits. Dexterity could be represented in the popular D&D? system of xD + C, where x is the number of dice and c is some constant. For example, pretend your character has 3D+4 dexterity and you''re righting a goblin that has 2D+5. As long as you get higher than the goblin, you hit.

- Now that you have checked for a hit, you need to decide how much damage has been dealt. You mention damage as an attribute, though I''d advise against it. I dunno exactly what it represents for you, but IMO. damage should not be a stat; rather, it should be calculated with a series of factors considered. That''s just my opinion :D

But back to the topic, I would probably calcuate damage with strength as the main factor. A possible damage calculation would be rolling for your strength (represented as xD + C) and then adding any weapon bonuses to that (Great Sword of Maiming: +2D damage) You would then compare this to the enemy strength, with any armor bonuses that they might have considered. The difference between your damage roll and their defense roll would be the amount of damage actually done.

- A possible idea to make combat even more interesting would be to use your accuracy variable to calculate the probability of critical strike. This could be used to implement area damage (ie: hit to the head does more than a hit to the hand) in an easy fashion. Perhaps you could compare some character accuracy to the dexterity (they might move out of the way and make you strike the wrong part) of the creature and if it is high enough, deal x% more damage.

- Spells are another good way to make combat interesting. Self buff spells like "damage +10%" can give the players more options.

Anyway, hope that helps somewhat :D

Peon

Peon, just the thing I was looking for. Ya I''m starting to think that I need to change a few things around, I like that self buff idea..I''m sure I will incorporate that in this project..Another big problem, that seems easy but really takes alot of time and thinking, is Weapon names, and Their stats...along with armor, items, etc.. Anyone know some good tables or something I could get ideas from? Thanks again for the replys.

Inpho

Might want to take a look at Diablo II, if you have it. They use a system of prefixes and suffixes, each of which carries certain modifiers. Take a look at these examples (not from D2, but a similar idea):

Broad Sword : 8 damage
w/ suffix: Broad Sword Of Maiming : 8 (+4) damage
w/ prefix: Steel Broad Sword : Increased durability
w/ both: Steel B. Sword of Maim : 8 (+4) damage & incsd drblty

With a system like like that, you can come up with a lot of suffixes / prefixes to make weapons.

Examples...

Prefixes:
Poison * Steel * Magic * Divine * Inferior (neg modifer) * Champion''s * Glorious * Rogue''s * Wizard''s * Immortal * Obsidian * Elven * Dwarven

Suffixes:
of the Magi * of slaying * of maiming * of precision * of the gods * destruction * of the Elves * of darkness

Weapons: Broad Sword, Short Sword, Saber, Rapier, Cutlass, Scimitar, Axe, Broad Axe, Throwing Axe, Spear, Javelin, Pike, Dagger, Knife, Dirk, Blade, Staff, Wooden Staff, etc...

Those are just some ideas. You simply have a list of prefixes and suffixes, them randomly string two together with a weapon:

Divine Dagger of the Gods
Champion''s Blade of Slaying

etc... you get the idea. I made these up, but there are a lot in Diablo 2. Check out this page: http://www.diabloii.net/items/modifiers/prefixes.shtml for prefixes and this page: http://www.diabloii.net/items/modifiers/suffixes.shtml. You can also find some "unique" items here, which might give you good inspiration as well: http://www.diabloii.net/items/uniques/armor-belts.shtml

Happy hunting :D

Peon

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!