• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qa303asmGuru

Is dynamic faster than static?

This topic is 5594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I made this little 2D particle demo with GL, and basically, I have a 1D static array of structures for each particle. I notice when I start the demo, everything is really choppy for about 10 seconds and then it smooths out and everything is fine. Any ideas why this might be happening? Also, would using a dynamic array of structures be faster for particle rendering? Another completely newbie question that I''ve had, how do I know if I''ve loaded say, a texture, into video memory or system memory? Do you have to specify where to load it or what? Please help. -Q

Advertisement
You generally get a performance hit in opengl when you first begin displaying a scene. This occurs because OpenGL has to allocate space to hold the data you send it. Only when there is a large change in the amount of data opengl has to process is when that will occur.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!