animated meshs

Started by
4 comments, last by FreezeRrR 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi... I am curently developing a game with DirectX8 and C++ My engine works just fine.. I can move. place .x files move them.. almost everything I want. But the thing I must do now is import some animated .x files done with 3dsmax5 and use those movements to make the meshes do some actions in my engine... Someone got any tutorial or infos on how to do that ? Any clue will be apreciated Thankx
Advertisement
well for animating characters and such, your best bet is skinned meshes. This is actually a pretty huge step to take in a game engine. the implementation with DX isnt easy. Graphics wise, youll want to learn some skeletal animation basics and how to animate skeletons in your 3d program.heres a link to skinned meshes for dx..its alot easier than the skinnedmesh example from the sdk.
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1835.asp

you might want to learn Jim Adams articles before that one.
-How to Parse X files
-Building frame Heiarchys from x files
Thankx you.. I will have a look at this
Thankx you.. I will have a look at this
when I try to compile the source of the tutorial to test it, I get this :

error C2660: ''ConvertToBlendedMesh'' : function does not take 6 parameters

The code at that place is like this :

esurlt = pD3DXSkinMesh->ConvertToBlendedMesh( D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY, padjacencyin,
rgiAdjacency, &dwAttrCount, &pBoneCombinationBuf, &pD3DXBlendedMesh );

have any idea of how I could fix this ?
at the end of the article there''s a link to discuss this article in the forums. The conversation thread covers a small number of tweaks that must be made to the code to get it to compile under DirectX8 (I don''t know about 9). On the thread''s second page is a bug fix (by yours truly) you''ll probably want to make as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement