• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BoredGamer

How would you make a board game playable over the internet?

This topic is 5736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don''t have much programming experience, and I was wondering how difficult it would be too make a board game able to be played over the internet. Would i have to code everything myself, or are there programs i could download which would have it all preprogrammed and i just give it bitmaps of pieces and boards?

Advertisement
I don''t know of any ''net board game'' kits, so to speak. So you''d be looking at making it yourself.

I''d recommend a client-server architecture. You have two programs, or parts of programs, running (on the same machine if you want, but they don''t have to be). One part - the ''server'' part - is responsible for the game data. Positions of playing pieces, player info, rules, etc. The other part - the ''client'' - is responsible for drawing the board for each player, and letting them click buttons and press keys to actually play the game.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!