• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why am i getting memory leaks when i use this ?

This topic is 5502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ifstream File (Filename,ios::binary);

if (!File)
  return false;

m_Data = new unsigned char [m_Width * m_Height];
for (unsigned int Read = 0; Read < m_Height * m_Width; Read++)
  File.read (reinterpret_cast <char *> (m_Data),m_Width * m_Height);	

File.close ();

instead of this

FILE	*File;
File = fopen (Filename,"rb");

if (!File)
 return false;

m_Data = new unsigned char [m_Width * m_Height];

fread (m_Data,1,m_Width*m_Height,File);
fclose (File);

all i''m reading is from a raw file. I dont get it thought can someone explain me ?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Metal Typhoon
if (!File)
return false;

(NOTE: The following statements assume that ifstream doesn''t overload operator! in a weird way)

Also, that has no meaning at all. File is a local instance of ifstream, so that statement will always evaluate to true. Use a function that tests the stream status like fail() or bad().

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

quote:
Original post by ZealousElixir
[quote]Original post by Metal Typhoon
if (!File)
return false;

(NOTE: The following statements assume that ifstream doesn''t overload operator! in a weird way)

Also, that has no meaning at all. File is a local instance of ifstream, so that statement will always evaluate to true. Use a function that tests the stream status like fail() or bad().

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

ok i''ll use .fail () now.. if i dont delete [] m_data which is a class member variable it wont give me the memory leak still.. but the other verion above will do it.. i guess it''s something about File.read ???

quote:
Original post by ZealousElixir
File is a local instance of ifstream, so that statement will always evaluate to true.
Huh? I don''t follow this reasoning.

Anyway, ifstream''s operator! returns ifstream::fail(), so what MT is doing is alright... Although I don''t understand why he reads m_Height * m_Width bytes so many times. Okay, it''s obviously a bug but it shouldn''t lead to memory leaks either.

quote:
Original post by civguy
[quote]Original post by ZealousElixir
File is a local instance of ifstream, so that statement will always evaluate to true.
Huh? I don''t follow this reasoning.

Anyway, ifstream''s operator! returns ifstream::fail(), so what MT is doing is alright... Although I don''t understand why he reads m_Height * m_Width bytes so many times. Okay, it''s obviously a bug but it shouldn''t lead to memory leaks either.

if a map is 1028 by 1028 then i need to read all of it.. that''s why i have m_Width*m_Height got it ? but i dont know why i got a memory leak i really need help i wnt to use c++ not c

I didn''t look at your code, but the C++ file stream classes are known to produce false memory leaks because they allocate static memory either pre-main() or free it post main() -- I forget which it is.

I think I remember just adding the follow include:
#include <fstream> // or was it fstream.h?
produced false memory leaks if your memory leak checker was set up in a certain way.

quote:
Original post by Metal Typhoon
if a map is 1028 by 1028 then i need to read all of it.. that''s why i have m_Width*m_Height got it ?
No, I don''t quite get it:

You''re reading m_Height * m_Width bytes m_Height * m_Width times. If your map is 1024 * 1024, it''ll try to read a terabyte. I doubt that''s your intent.

quote:
Original post by civguy
[quote]Original post by Metal Typhoon
if a map is 1028 by 1028 then i need to read all of it.. that's why i have m_Width*m_Height got it ?
No, I don't quite get it:

You're reading m_Height * m_Width bytes m_Height * m_Width times. If your map is 1024 * 1024, it'll try to read a terabyte. I doubt that's your intent.

Holy crap i see what you mean so i think i should do this...

for (unsigned int Read = 0; Read < m_Height ; Read++)
File.read (reinterpret_cast (m_Data),m_Width);

After i changed it it still gave me memory leaks.. i dont know what's wrong with it..

{55} normal block at 0x07961A00, 512 bytes long.
Data: < > 20 00 20 00 20 00 20 00 20 00 20 00 20 00 20 00
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\crtdbg.h(552) : {43} normal block at 0x07961D80, 16 bytes long.
Data: < F > B4 F4 46 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\crtdbg.h(552) : {42} normal block at 0x07960030, 33 bytes long.
Data: < C > 00 43 00 CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\crtdbg.h(552) : {41} normal block at 0x07961DC0, 40 bytes long.
Data: < F > 08 F4 46 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Object dump complete.

[edited by - Metal Typhoon on February 2, 2003 1:02:08 AM]

Well, what Z01 said could well be correct. You don''t have any memory leaks but your mem-leak reporter just reports them incorrectly.

Also

File.read (reinterpret_cast<char*>(m_Data),m_Width);

Will read m_Width worth of bytes at the beginning of m_Data over and over again. The whole m_Data array won''t get filled. I suggest you do like you did in the C version:

That is, scrap the for loop.

quote:
Original post by civguy
Well, what Z01 said could well be correct. You don''t have any memory leaks but your mem-leak reporter just reports them incorrectly.

Also

File.read (reinterpret_cast<char*>(m_Data),m_Width);

Will read m_Width worth of bytes at the beginning of m_Data over and over again. The whole m_Data array won''t get filled. I suggest you do like you did in the C version:

That is, scrap the for loop.

ok i''ll use the second one.. but the first one will definetly read all of the data a i tested.. anyways the memory leak reporter i''m using is the one that comes with vc++ .. _CrtDumpMemoryLeaks ();

• Advertisement