rts game engine

Started by
6 comments, last by klio 21 years, 2 months ago
ok... where can i find online docs and info (except books) on designing and implementing a rts game engine (not graphics but the game loop, objects, etc.)?
Advertisement
STFW - www.google.com search for "real-time strategy creating tutorials" returned this.

Cheers!

ToohrVyk
-------------
Extatica - a free 3d game engine
Available soon!
Click here to learn more
Thanks, but i need a bit more detailed info.
The link I gave you covers the basic stuff of RTS development. To go more in-depth, you will need to either buy a book, or start asking more precise questions.

We cannot give you more precise information on designing and implementing a rts game engine than this site already provided - it''d be too long to write down, and I doubt there are many sites out there giving out so much information. But we can answer questions such as "how would I implement an order list system like Total Annihilation?" for instance.

If you want details, please ask WHICH details you want.

Cheers!

ToohrVyk
-------------
Extatica - a free 3d game engine
Available soon!
Click here to learn more
Hi im new here i dont know much on C++ game programming yet but i soon will.
Go to my website it will soon be done with a C++ game programming solution okay my website is
www.geocities.com//evil_ifna
and my email is gregory_thorne@hotmail.com

G.S.Thorne
Ok... Are there any c++ rts sources available on the web for free downloading and studying? Found only FreeCraft but that''s plain-C.
/me gets flash backs to teh same question by the same person being asked the end of last year

might i surguest you do what programmers are ment to do and solve the problem yourself?
By all means ask for hints on how to handle a certain thing, but i doubt anyone has the time, or inlinaction, to sit down and design an object system and game loop for your game, as that is what you are basicaly asking them to do.
Here''s a hint to get started however :
* take a bit of paper
* write down all the units you want, what they can do etc
* group ''em by type and use these types to build a base class for all game units and then each subtype will be a derivative (sp?) of the base class and so on down your tree.

Tada, object system for your units.

Your a programmer.
A problem solver.
Go solve and ask for help when you get stuck with little bits and certain tasks.
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=81

-Luctus
Codito, Ergo Sum (Courtesy of ThinkGeek)

[Mail][DreggSoft][Fileformat Guide][n00bs]
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement