• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Downloadable books

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi im a poor programming student and an taking the game programming side seperate to my course. I am spending too much money on getting books for my course and cant afford to buy books on this subject. Does anyone know of any downloadable books on game programming, pref in html format...thanks for any help recieved.

Advertisement
You can get Bruce Eckel''s "Thinking in C++" here:
http://www.mindview.net/Books/DownloadSites

It''s not game programming but I don''t know whether you''re looking for general programming books as well. I don''t recall having seen a downloadable game programming book before. I''m sure you could find some if you looked hard enough though.

I really really advice you to get "Programming Role-Playing Games With DirectX 8.0" by Jim Adams. If you dont have the money, SAVE UP! If you cant find a store: I bought it at www.bol.com. Search for it!

.lick

I have to agree with pipo. That book is arguably the best book out there. It takes you through making a FULL 3D engine with directx. And the best part is even though it says its for rpg''s you can use that same engine for just about any game with a few modifications here and there. Seriously. Save up. Stop eating in school or something....and buy the book.

:::: [ Triple Buffer V2.0 ] ::::

lolol..who needs food anyways. Its all about the game making. I also have the book and it is by far the best out there for learning dx

You have to pay for dinner in your country!?
Hehe.. here in sweden, dinner is absolutely free, in return, it´s _very_ bad! potato all day( almost )!

Back to subject, I once saw a site where you could download many books on diffrent things, i downloaded PDF versions of around 10 books.. but the addres is long gone and my harddrive is erased many times over...
(+ i think the site was illegal, you could download "Game programing with openGL.. Hosted on angelfire.com)

Also, check out halfpricecomputerbooks.com. Not all their books are half price actually, but at least 20%, and if you look through their bargin bin, sometimes they're up to 75% off. They're brand new books too, not second hand ones.

[edited by - locus on February 2, 2003 1:31:36 PM]

quote:
Original post by PSO_boy
You have to pay for dinner in your country!?
Hehe.. here in sweden, dinner is absolutely free, in return, it´s _very_ bad! potato all day( almost )!

Back to subject, I once saw a site where you could download many books on diffrent things, i downloaded PDF versions of around 10 books.. but the addres is long gone and my harddrive is erased many times over...
(+ i think the site was illegal, you could download "Game programing with openGL.. Hosted on angelfire.com)

Nah, potatoes are good! Yeah, if you eat ALOT... You might get a little fat. Carbohydrates or w/e you call them... Got alot, but potatoes are good I think , and sorry, I just had to make this comment, no body ever disses potatoes, though this is off the subject, sorry...! Lol... Cya. Later.

War! Is! Totally! Use!Less! So! Why! Don''t we just sit down, smoke some pot, and get along?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!