Is there a less expensive alternative to Rational Rose? (beside paper that is)

Started by
4 comments, last by Dark Rain 21 years, 2 months ago
I tried the demo of RR as a part of one of my university class and I truely loved their program but it''s sold for the insane price of ~4000$. The UML modeling part doesnt look all the hard to code so I wonder if someone didnt do a freeware or something less expensive at least and that work well too. (Class diagram, Use cases etc)
Advertisement
Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems is a lot cheaper. Especially if you qualify for the academic discount.

"I know very well who Satan is: He is freedom. He is the uncontrolled, the incalculable, the antithesis of order and discipline, the antithesis of the legalism of outer space.... We know where a planet will be in twelve years, four months and nine days. But we don''t know where a butterfly will have flown one minute hence. Therefore the butterfly is of Satan."
-- Jens Bjørneboe
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
There are many free implementations for various languages and with different capabilities. I found some myself by searching on freshmeat and sourceforge.
Thank you, Sparx Systems is indeed much much cheaper and I''ll have a look at source forge.
I just stumbled across UMLPad. I''ve not tried it, but if you just want to do UML diagrams it might do the trick.
I''ve used the Java version and it''s pretty good (but not quite as good as Rational). I think that you can get a copy for free (at least a trial version)

http://www.ilogix.com/products/rhapsody/rhap_incplus.cfm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement