• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variable arguments: creating an sprintf wrapper?

This topic is 5500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve got a class that maintains an error log. Currently, if I want to record the value of some variable, I have to first declare an array to store a string, then use sprintf() to load that string with the data I want, then pass the string to my error-recording function. That''s not cool. Instead, it would be a lot better if my error-recording function worked similarilly to the sprintf() line of functions. However, I''m having a lot of trouble getting this to work. At the core of it, all I''m trying to do here is to create a wrapper function for sprintf. I''m including stdarg.h, and I''ve declared my function with the function(char * s, ...); syntax. However, I can''t figure out how to define that function so that it calls sprintf with the information it has been given. Is there any easy way to do this? Or am I going to have to write a function that performs the same string-parsing work as sprintf does?

Advertisement
look into va_list, va_start and va_end
here''s some working code i use:

void tConsole::Print ( const char *msg, ... )
{
va_list argList;
char buffer[512] = { 0 };
va_start(argList, msg);
vsprintf(buffer, msg, argList);
va_end(argList);

// now buffer contains the formatted message..

// do with it whatever you want :)

}

Runicsoft -- latest attraction: obfuscated Brainfuck Interpreter in SML
( This post was made entirely from re-cycled electrons )

Unless you are coding in C, I suggest you learn how to use C++ stringstreams instead.

The 512 char buffer is the main reason behind buffer overflows security exploits so commonly found these days.

quote:
Original post by Zorodius
I''ve got a class that maintains an error log.
[...]
all I''m trying to do here is to create a wrapper function for sprintf. I''m including stdarg.h, and I''ve declared my function with the function(char * s, ...); syntax.

I''m reminded of this thread.

• Advertisement