• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creating 2d bounding hull

This topic is 5586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to create a 2d bounding hull for a set of points to use for culling. Theres a decent amount of points, all spread pretty much randomly either within or on the edge of the hull i''m trying to find - imagine a rhombus with points at the corners and a whole bunch spread randomly inside. But i''m at something of a loss to actually extract only the points I need at the corners. Anyone any suggestions?

Advertisement
Hi,

You could use QHull. This computes the convex hull of a set of n-dimensional points. In the 2D case, it will return a bunch of edge segments (2 indices in each).

Or look up ''rotating calipers''. It can be applied to easily determine the convex hull of a set of 2D points.

HTH

Matt Halpin

I looked at QuickHull algo, but it wasn''t really suitable for what I needed. Instead I ended up doing a slight variation on Jarvis'' march. This is quite neat since for the most part I have a large amount of input points, but an output of just a few (approx 3-8). And if I need to change it at a later point its all nicely wrapped up in a class now so its not a problem.

Is QuickHull able to properly generate Alpha Hulls based on an input set? If it could, it would be perfect for what I am trying to do.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!