50 chars limit on access database

Started by
3 comments, last by Kyo 21 years, 2 months ago
For my visual basic program I have the usual fields for a student record such as name, surname etc.. But I also have fields which require quite a lot of text such as Reference, Notes etc... Where the user can write a reference for the student, keep notes on him... I was thinking of storing this in a random access file or text file, and storing the address of this in the Notes and Reference field, so when the database is displayed when it gets to notes or reference it gets the address of it''s location in a text file or random access file. Is there a better way of doing this? How would professional databases store information that require more then 50 chars for a field?
Advertisement
Nevermind I just found out there''s a "memo" field

But i''m new at all this database thing and in third normal form i got this for my relational database can someone check it for me please?

STUDENT (student number, collegeID, name, surname, gender, DOB, address, telephone no, e-mail address, average attendance, reference, action targets, special needs, notes, hobbies/sport)

STUDENT_TAKES (student number, course number)

COURSE (Course number, average grade, average predicted grade, average attendance)

COURSE_TERM (Course number, term ID number)

TERM (Term ID number, term number, actual grade, predicted grade, staff comments, attendance)

STUDENT_UNI (Student number, UniChoiceID)

UNI_CHOICE (UniChoiceID, university name, subject chosen, grade offered)

STUDENT_TUTOR (student number, tutorID)

TUTOR (tutorID, tutor name, year)
STUDENT (student number, collegeID, name, surname, gender, DOB, address, telephone no, e-mail address, average attendance, reference, action targets, special needs, notes, hobbies/sport)

STUDENT_TAKES (student number, course number)

COURSE (Course number, average grade, average predicted grade, average attendance)

COURSE_TERM (Course number, term ID number)

TERM (Term ID number, term number, actual grade, predicted grade, staff comments, attendance)

STUDENT_UNI (Student number, UniChoiceID)

UNI_CHOICE (UniChoiceID, university name, subject chosen, grade offered)

STUDENT_TUTOR (student number, tutorID)

TUTOR (tutorID, tutor name, year)
A "professional" solution would be to use a more robust DBMS, but I don''t think that''s what you''re looking for .

In access, if you wanna store a lot of text data, change the column type to Memo. That will allow you to store as much text as you want in the column, but be warned...it will decrease the performance of the database since it is of dynamic size. Another solution would be to increase the Text field to like 100 or so (but no recommended), that will keep speed up (but will still be slower than a column of 50), but the size of your database will be bigger because every record/row will have an attribute size of 100...Database design is an art and a science

-timiscool999
"I like waffles. Especially with syrup." -me

XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture
-timiscool999"I like waffles. Especially with syrup." -me
XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture
There is no 50 character limit, you are just not bothering to change the maximum length from it''s default. Fixed length text fields can be up to 255 characters long.
Hobbies/sports should allow for more than one choice (I think that''s a fair assumption).

-timiscool999
"I like waffles. Especially with syrup." -me

XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture
-timiscool999"I like waffles. Especially with syrup." -me
XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement