• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jpchand

directx and pocket pc

This topic is 5770 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

are there any plans for a version of directx for the pocket pc. I know how direct draw and I''m wanting to develop games for the pocket pc... I guess I would hace to learn GAPI+?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
As far as I know DirectX is part of the PocketPC OS.
Check MSDN for details.

DirectX is NOT included in the PocketPC OS [The one exceptions is DirectPlay is avail.] and there are no plans to included it anytime soon. Most pockets Pcs dont have *any* form of hardware accelerated graphics 2D or 3D, so writing a directX layer would be a waste of time.

GAPI is the only way to go for high speed PocketPC applications. But the API only gives you very low level access (IE a function to get a pointer to a 'video' memory surface and little information about the format of that surface). All higher level functionality Surface-To-Surface blits, texureloading (etc) you are going to have to write yourself.

There is one PocketPC graphics API out there that someone wrote that functions very similar to DirectDraw, but the name escapes me.

[*** EDIT: The name is GapiDraw -- http://www.gapidraw.com/ **]

If do decide to go the gapi route, there are tonnes of sites and newsgroups out there to help you along. One i strongly suggest is the Handheld pro mailing list (http://www.applewoodhouse.com/list.html) , the guys on the list are very nice,knowledgable and have published title experience (I am one of the contributers myself).

[edited by - Entz on February 2, 2003 6:47:40 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!