Why were HalfLife and SS2 successful?

Started by
15 comments, last by Maitrek 23 years, 11 months ago
See this is my problem - I want to know exactly when games started to have to become "interactive movies". Half Life was successful because it filled that kind of criteria - even though it didn''t even touch most movie''s plots.

And secondly, System Shock 2 didn''t really have much on System Shock 1 except for graphics, infact after playing System Shock 1 had no sense of creepy-atmosphere in System Shock 2. It was weak and Shodan was a wuss, she didn''t even try to touch you during the game wheras in SS1 if she said "Don''t go in that room" she MEANT don''t go in that room. I felt her lack of regard to your importance kinda made the player feel like he really didn''t matter at all and all he was supposed to do was be scared by "the many" who I though sounded so pathetic I couldn''t take them seriously.

When I got to the level "On A Rail" in Half Life I thought to myself "If this is how good some of the levels in the greatest game of all time on PC is, then why aren''t I playing consoles?"

I think Half-Life could''ve been alot better, the reason I like SS1 even though the graphics are dated (by new-age terms) it is fun, and that''s what comes first, and these vague attempts at interactive movies (scripted events while shooting things) really don''t cut it as a pc GAME and I think designers need to focus more on the GAME part of it.
Advertisement
Maitek : When did games start becoming interactive movies? Hmm... I would say around the time when CD-ROMs came into fashion, some IMHO are quite good :- Under A Killing Moon, Wing Commander 4. And some just plain pathethic :- Dracula, etc. etc.

I loved Half Life... until you got to the other side... that''s when it became a platform game.

I loved SS2.... until I got to the other ship.... then it became Doom all over again.

Plot was ALWAYS a game feature, you had a plot in space invaders, Doom, Wolf. It sort of gives a sense of purpose to the gamer.

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
Actually, I don''t think Half-Life''s popularity had much to do with the single player part of it. I used to play it a LOT, and loved it, even as a Quake2 Clan Leader.

I played the single player part for about half an hour and got bored, I hate watching stuff happen! I''m more of a deathmatch-give-me-more-gore person.

HalfLife Deathmatch was, well, refreshing! A single good hit with even the most pathetic of weapons could lay down your enemy, you moved slower than a snail, and you could use weapons to shoot THROUGH walls, lay ambushes, the whole diddley.

HOURS and HOURS we spent blowing the gibs out of eachother at Uni, my whole quake-clan considered Half-life a form of relaxation...
Why was it good? Decent balance. Even a pistol can kill, and a half-dead player with a single tripbomb could still get you half an hour after you shot him to pieces. Magnificent stuff.

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Half life was cool because the whole game was basically one big cutscene, with you as the starring character. You could take control of what happened, as a storyline unfolded around you.

Another FPS with a great storyline is Jedi Knight. That was good because you could even influence which levels you played at the end!

- Daniel
my homepage
- DanielMy homepage
a big problem i found with halflife is, like deakin says, the whole thing is like a big cutscene. The player is not a player for a lot of the game, but an observer who must walk from show to show, killing things occasionally. that of course is a bit of an overgeneralization, but basically it is true. This is where doom or quake would could been seen as better; at least in those games you were doing stuff (until all the monsters died and you have to search for that last goddamn key!!!!).

<(o)>
<(o)>
Half-Life was so sucessful because of a great storyline and the mod community. Right now Counterstrike is one the most played games on the net. Before counterstrike there was TFC(not to say that TFC is not popular or not good). Gameastura has a great article on how half-life was designed. I highly recommend it.
InFerN0Not all who wander are lost...
I sort of liked half-life. The only big downside was the MASSIVE amount of puzzles. I spent about three hours trying to kill the first tentacles, and another 5 trying to figure out "On a Rail".
But on another hand, does anyone realize that all the great Single-Player games are Quake2 engined? But yeah, the only thing i use HL for tho'' is the mods, CS and TFC are excellent and there are a few interesting ones coming out in the next couple of months.

-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement