• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_elmo

screen rendering

This topic is 5676 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How does the rendering technique works...? If the user in a game is moving around, will the screen be build up from the beginning? I mean every time the screen has to be changed, will it be drawn from nothing (black screen)... How does the game engines work on this issue...? I think it takes a lot of time to draw a whole screen from scratch if only and only one thing has changed...? I''m just wondering myself...! _elmo nieuwe schoenen...

Advertisement
Well you''re right, it''s quite a waste of time to re-draw the screen, so most of the time only modified parts are draw again. If the whole screen is modified, it will be redrawn.

However, sometimes just sending the whole bunch of vertices at the 3D card can be faster than keeping track of all moving things on the screen.

ToohrVyk
-------------
Extatica - a free 3d game engine
Available soon!
Click here to learn more

The fact is, in 2D they are rendered from scratch too... If you want to update only a part of it, you''ve got to work on it.

Same with 3D : you''ve got ways to only render a certain part of the screen (using stencils for instance). But this is less useful, since the whole screen needs to be changed every time the eye moves.

And in 3D, you can store vertices instead of pixels. That way, instead of re-creating all 3D data each frame, you only update that which was modified.

ToohrVyk
-------------
Extatica - a free 3d game engine
Available soon!
Click here to learn more

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!