3d modeling/rendering

Started by
7 comments, last by entivore 21 years, 2 months ago
Does anyone know a good place to get started with 3d modeling type stuff? So far, everything I''ve ever done has been in 2d and I''d like to give 3d a shot. Like, what kind of software (preferably not $1000) would be best to start with, and are there are really good tutorials out there?
*Only in darkness can one truely shine*
Advertisement
Maybe trueSpace... Paint Shop Pro...

DarkNebula
Ok - 3d progs that are free:

wings3d - www.wing3d.com : Novel proggie, kinda like nendo
blender - www.blender3d.com : Amazing prog, hard interface to get used to, but they created a web 3d plugin so that you could play games in a browser, etc.

dang - there is this java 3d program that I can''t for the life of me remember its name...
quote:Original post by hex4def6

blender - www.blender3d.com : Amazing prog, hard interface to get used to

i love the blender interface i prefer using blender (for certain things) than max.

3D Studio Max is GOD!

Try this place: http://www.3dcafe.com

or

http://www.3dlinks.com

WikedGamer
i could never figure out blender myself (i don''t even know how to make a friggin cube) but it''s a *TINY* download so you might want to check it out.

and of course the problems with most modelling progs is that they''re so bloody expensive. max5 is $3500 (ohhh what i''d do for $3500 ) maya is something like .. $2000 i THINK, might have changed in a year (probably has), etc.

wings3d is a nice little modeller. it''s progressed very far from the version i originally downloaded, which was more or less a perfect clone of nendo, sans the model painting stuff. since then, it''s gained MANY modelling tools, a few even lend themselves to character modelling (like the virtual mirror: so you can model one half of the body and have it instantly show up on the other side but it''s not actually there ) unfortunately it''s not too great in the texturing ara and it has no animation support..

i personally use milkshape3d. it''s cheeeap ($25, come on if you can''t scrape up $25 you seriously need to rethink your life), easy to use (i think, a few people find it strange) and has good animation support. it''s a bit sparse on the tools but its open-ended plugin support allows for people to make plugins for it (of which there are a ton, i myself even made 2 ). also the texturing support is somewhat lacking.

i also use another program that''s not available for free download anymore, called lithunwrap. the name was changed to unwrap3d and now costs money (no clue how much). basically it''s a very nice program that makes mapping textures onto models really easy.

i just want to make a little game, sell it, and make $3500 for MAX :D i love max

one final note:

do NOT get tricked into thinking that GMAX is a free version of MAX. although it''s functionally identical to max (and i love it just as much), it says in the license agreement that you''re not allowed to use it for anything but game mods (at this point there are only 2 IIRC so..). that means you can''t make models, then make a game out of them. however what i was thinking was that if you convert an exported model to some other format will they really know it was made in GMAX?

I''m a big fan of milkshape3D as well. It isn''t the most robust thing out there but for $25 you get more than your money''s worth out of it. It''s incredibly easy to write your own plugins for as well. I wrote my own exporter. I think for what I''m doing and for what most people are looking for, milkshape is an excellent program.
quote:
dang - there is this java 3d program that I can't for the life of me remember its name...

I think you are referring to Art of Illusion at www.artofillusion.org

Personally, I used wings for modeling and blender for everything else. Wings modeling tools result in faster modeling for me. Although as mentioned above, Wings doesn't support animation and its uv support is still kinda unstable.

I use Blender for uvs, bones, animation, etc. Their is great user community for Blender at www.elysiun.com

[edited by - yspotua on February 3, 2003 3:32:41 AM]
ack, downloaded Blender and all it does is open up a nonresponding dos window and sit there.

Guess I''ll try wings next
*Only in darkness can one truely shine*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement