VGA sucks ass!!!

Started by
11 comments, last by Julio 21 years, 2 months ago
hey, I''m supposed to teach the graphics unit for my highschool ap comp sci class. I''m writing a little pcx demo which displays a little logo. i reduced the image to 256 colors thinking I had this many to work with, but I have a palette of 16 to work with (Borland 3.0 w/BGI graphics). wtf. I have managed to reduce the palette to 16 colors, but if I reduce my image it looks like shit. any suggestions on how I can get more colors on the screen in this color mode? thanks, Joe My Homepage
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Advertisement
Double post...

[edited by - Lunatic Raven on February 2, 2003 6:57:56 PM]
"...."
Use mode 13h or modeX
"...."
Or use a different BGI driver.
320x200x256

another one (at the bottom)

a whole bunch of free packages

good luck,
pat
Use 320x200 with 256 colors... that''s what I always used in a borland turbo c/c++ compiler. If you would like any help with this, let me know...

Email - Ready4Dis@aol.com

AIM = Crazyguy4Eva
MSN = Ready4Dis_1@hotmail.com

Here is the basic code to get you started:

#include <conio.h> //Used for getch();//Pointer to the VGA screenunsigned char far *VGA_Ptr = (unsigned char far*)0xa0000000l;//Put a pixel to the screenvoid PutPixel(short x, short y, unsigned char Color){ VGA_Ptr[y*320+x]=Color;}//Set a pallete entry... 0-255 for r,g,bvoid SetPallete(unsigned char index, unsigned char r, char unsigned g, char unsigned b){ outportb(0x3c8,index); outportb(0x3c9,r>>2); //Put us between 0->63 outportb(0x3c9,g>>2); //Put us between 0->63 outportb(0x3c9,b>>2); //Put us between 0->63}void SetMode(short mode){ asm mov ax, mode; asm int 0x10;}int main(void){ SetMode(0x13); //Set our 320x200 graphics mode//We can now set our pallete and plot pixels as needed. getch(); SetMode(0x3); //Back to text mode! return 0;}  
Just wanted to add (AP from above) that you should probably put a check in the put pixel function to check boundaries...

void PutPixel(short x, short y, unsigned char Color)
{
if (x>-1 && y>-1 && x<320 && y<200) //Make sure we''re within our limit!
VGA_Ptr[(y<<6)+(y<<8)+x]=Color; //<<6 + <<8 = *320, just a bit faster.
}
Where do you teach? 1991?
quote:

not exactly, dipshit.
I''m a studen at Hickman High school. the teacher wanted me to teach this unit since a have a little background in graphics. thanks to darookie for actually answering my question. I know how to do mode13. that''s what I started on 6 years ago. for this class we use Borland (don''t know why) and we have to use BGI.
thanks again,
Joe

My Homepage
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
quote:Original post by gmcbay

Pascal is still a very good language for learning how to program.
Pascal was created for that purpose and I learned it
too, when I was at school (actually that was sometime around the early 90''s).

Julio:
np - I had the same problem when I wrote my first game in Pascal.

chalkboard

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement