• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy Brick

Newbie Introduction

This topic is 5677 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, Id like to take a minute and introduce myself to the designers here. My name is Andy Brick. I am a composer with credits that include titles for Interplay, Broderbund, Working Designs, Mattel and a bunch of others. Some of you may recognize my name from my recent article in Game Developer Magazine about recording a live game soundtrack with the Prague Symphony. If you would like to know more about me you can check out my website at www.andybrick.com or send me an email at the address below. I look forward to becoming an active memver of Game Dev. Net and hopefully making some good contacts in the community. All my best, Andy ***************************** ANDY BRICK Composer & Symphonist Music For Cinema & Soundtracks Tel: 914-631-8132 Email: andybrick@aol.com Web: www.andybrick.com

Advertisement
Welcome aboard. Most of us here don''t have the sort of commercial background that you do, so it will be interesting to see your take on things.

''Your theory of a donut shaped universe is intriguing Homer'' - Stephen Hawking

I listened to some of your mp3''s, very nice

I wish I was more musically inclined, but the extent of my musical knowledge comes from 2 years of playing the viola (when I was 11-13, so I hardly remember how to play anymore) and a year of classical guitar (when I was 16, so I''ve forgotten most of that as well )

I''ve always been a huge admirer of soundtrack composers, and I tend to snap up anything by James Horner, Alan Silvestri, John Williams, James Howard and anything else that I admire in films. I greatly admire a soundtrack composer''s ability to invoke (and evoke) emotions from music...I truly believe Plato was right when he said God had given man two artforms...gymnastics and music.

Do you have preferences for certain genre''s of games and therefore certain styles of music? I tend to think that the games industry underrates the value of good music, and the only game I can think of that I own that really interested me musically was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

As SailorStick said, most of us don''t have the level of contacts that you already have, but welcome aboard nevertheless.

Hi Dauntless, Sailorstick

Thanks for the comments. I feel very strongly about game soundtracks. I believe that not only can game scores be as good as film scores but, given the interactive nature of games, the scores can easily take the concept of scoring to picture to a new level.

To me, one of the most exciting things about game music is that it is an artform that speaks directly to the younger segment of our population. Venues like film and game soundtracks have given the orchestral genre new life. I think we are in for some great music in games and I hope to be a critical part of that.

-andy

ANDY BRICK

Composer & Symphonist
Music For Cinema & Soundtracks
Tel: 914-631-8132
Email: andybrick@aol.com
Web: www.andybrick.com

quote:
Original post by Andy Brick
I believe that not only can game scores be as good as film scores but, given the interactive nature of games, the scores can easily take the concept of scoring to picture to a new level.

I totally agree. Music - and, indeed, the lack of it - is one of the single most important factors in establishing a game''s mood - and it has the added attribute that people tend to notice it less. It gets overlooked far too often, IMO.

Having mentioned the ''interactive nature of games,'' have you ever worked with a dynamic music system (composing music on the fly)? I''ve played with it a bit, but I can already see that composing a fixed score, versus putting together a ''toolkit'' of motifs and patters, is very different.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Forgive my ignorance of the term, composer but do you actually play the scores (aside from the keyboard to get an inital idea of how a score-in-the-making sounds) or do you write the scores for your games projects and have the orchestra play it untill you think it's right? Also, I've been wanting to know (since you have the credentials of a prestegious member of many game development crews) is Full Sail a way to go for the education needed to get involved with a such big named companies like those that you have worked in?

[edited by - smiley4 on February 4, 2003 11:07:24 AM]

Hi Smiley-

Every project is different. When the budgets are lower and I am asked to create a synth orchestra than I use synths and play all the parts on the keyboard. On almost every project I try to convince the director or producer to use as many real instruments as possible. On big budget projects where I have a full orchestra I have to write out all the scores and parts on music paper (I use Finale) and then rehearse and conduct the ensemble until we get a take with which I am satisfied.

Im not sure what you mean by Full Sail. There are no formulas to what makes a good composer. Its not like becoming a doctor or lawyer where you have to pass certain academic milestones to achieve success. Anyone can attempt to become a professional composer regardless of background or training. I am very educated. I have both an undergad and masters and have spent as much time after my formal schooling studying scores as I ever did when I was in school. A very close friend of mine has not a single day in music school. He is completely self taught and is very successful and very good.

-hope this helps
-andy

ANDY BRICK

Composer & Symphonist

quote:
Original post by Andy Brick
On big budget projects where I have a full orchestra I have to write out all the scores and parts on music paper (I use Finale)

Hehe, cool. I used Finale for my music course compositions. Quite a nice program, although most of the functionality was totally beyond understanding without reading the manual. Maybe I''m just being an impertinent kid.

quote:
Im not sure what you mean by Full Sail.

Full Sail is a ''multimedia arts'' university. Along with DigiPen, they''re the two top US universities people seem to look at around here.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Hi Super Pig

Yup, Finale is a big one! Can you believe I have been using it since version 1.1 ??? The original version was programmed by a guy who was a memeber of the Moonies relgious organization. There were many hidden keystroke ccommands that would result in dialog boxes with some very interesting, if not inspirational verses. LOL its come a long way.

I like the program quite a bit and have gotten very good at it over the years. I use it for all aspects of composition. Now, if only they would write a legitimate sequencer into the thing!

-andy

ANDY BRICK

Composer & Symphonist

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!