• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sakky

Game GUIs

This topic is 5563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Say you wanted to create a cool looking GUI for your game. Like me, you wanted to create your game using MFC instead of Win32. Now, would you attpemt to write skinning functions for those controls you will be using in your GUI, or would you use the GUI switchy thing in XP. If you used the XP switchy thing then you could only rtun your application on XP. What would you use to make a new game GUI with MFC?

Advertisement
I wrote a nice OpenGL GUI that supports multiple windows, buttons, labels, text boxes, scroll boxes, etc... all can be seperately textured, or use a default texture, the background has a texture, all windows can have alpha maps and/or have an alpha value... windows are moveable too... more things to come soon too . New objects can easily be created by inheriting from my base object class, and filling in the required function (draw, mouse click, keypress, etc).

one thing came to my mind right now. how are you scrolling your texts? i could imagine scrolling line by line and just changing the offset into the string. or rendering the whole text to a texture and only change the tex coords while scrolling.

A GUI in OpenGL? How would you make something like this? May I see a sample or demo application of this OpenGL GUI? have never heard of a full GUI made in OpenGL before. I wonder how it is done. Please show me a demo of your applications.

OMFG.. i had it all typed, and it didn''t post, hit Back, and it was gone... lets try this one more time:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
Image 6
Image 7

These are my images from my work in progress opengl GUI. Written in MSVC 6.0 with opengl. Current objects are text boxes, command buttons, list boxes, and labels. Windows are draggable,a dn the command button currently swaps the text in both text-boxes when it''s clicked.

Please let me know what you think, and what you''d like to see implemented. Also, if you want a demo of the .exe, let me know, and I will upload a more recent version.

Trienco: For my list box, I have a list of pointers (to strings), so I simply store the first object to display in the list, and use a for list to display to the number of items visible in the list box (you can set how tall it is to display more or less items in it at a time).

[edited by - Ready4Dis on February 3, 2003 12:00:59 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!