Game GUIs

Started by
53 comments, last by sakky 21 years, 1 month ago
ah.. was curious if you adapt the strings to the box/window or do something else. its probably not worth the effort, but im thinking about a way that lets you scroll "smoothly" through text while confining it to the box (while still be simple and straight forward). rendering the text into a texture and just moving over it might work, though i dont know if that would be a practical approach.
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
Advertisement
I was thinking about adding smooth scrolling... but to much hassle for now. I am converting it over into 2d, where I have a lot more control over how things are drawn. The purpose of this GUI was to test designs for an OS i''m writing. It will end up being 2d, with all sorts of alpha tricks, smooth scrolling, etc.. but for now, i''m just making it work, and error free .
I have played a game with OpenGL GUI. Now how do I build one? Do you guys make the frame work from the ground up? Or do you use part of Windows frame work with a few twist? I was thinking about doing something with the Windows GUI and adding my interface to it.

I would like to see some source code and exe demos of some OpenGL gui or any gui system of you guys. I would also like some links to tutorials. Google doesn''y bring up thr right stuff.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
I wrote it from the ground up, and I linked a demo with source code for you. It''s not as complete as a windows GUI, but it sure can look pretty . If you are really interested in the code, I have to ask if you''re familiar with linked lists, and class inheritance... if not, you''ll be completely lost, as the entire thing is based around this .
Here's a GUI i've been working on:

ScottEngine GUI (right click and Save As)

Although i cannot claim that it will work seeing how i've never tried it on anything other than my computer, but i'm confident. You also might notice if you try it that it's not 100% yet, but it does what it's supposed for the most part, and i'm quite proud of it. Also, please do not laugh at my code. it may not be heavily comment, but it's not too hard to follow IMHO. App.cpp contains the code that creates the windows, and GUI.cpp contains the action code for the windows and controls in the two functions:

void CGui::Action(...)
void CGui::UpdateControls(...)

i think.

Also, the Gui code was coded by myself 100%, as for some of the other code in other files, i cannot claim responability for all of it. It uses a modified NeHe Basecode + various other sources. The directInput stuff comes pretty much straight from OpenGL Game Programming , and i can't remember what else at the moment, but i'll soon get all that in the readme.txt.

This actually the first time i've released any of this... to anyone, so if it does work, let me know

Scott

------------------------------------------------------------
Email
Website

"If you try and don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
------------------------------------------------------------

[edited by - wojtos on February 3, 2003 10:05:56 PM]

[edited by - wojtos on February 3, 2003 10:06:54 PM]
quote:Original post by sakky
I have played a game with OpenGL GUI. Now how do I build one? Do you guys make the frame work from the ground up? Or do you use part of Windows frame work with a few twist? I was thinking about doing something with the Windows GUI and adding my interface to it.

I would like to see some source code and exe demos of some OpenGL gui or any gui system of you guys. I would also like some links to tutorials. Google doesn''y bring up thr right stuff.

i would expect a) trouble to even render windows gui in an opengl viewport and b) more work to stop them looking like windows than it would take to code your own ,-)

f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
Wojtos and Ready4Dis, I can''t download either of your samples - I''d like to see them.
Currently my GUI supports passing input messages via the virtual function method, propogating the message down through to the bottom window, or control. Even this method is simple, anyone have any thoughts as to how microsoft handles messages? I know that they have some member function macro system set up that binds the functions, and decreases the overhead by eliminating the messaging handling functions that arent needed. This is comletely different than how I do it, in that every child window musta also contain all of the window handling routines.

so in my setup i have a generic window that has message functions like this:

window->mouse_dblclick();
window->mouse_rightclick();

etc...

and every window will inherit those same member functions, and I can fill them in to make them handle differently for each dialog, button, etc. that inherits. This is wasteful though it seems, to inherit all that data.

microsoft seems to only have those handling functions defined when needed within any arbitrary window. I dont understand how they add message handlers without all the inheritance. Anyone shed some light on this subject? My guess is they have function pointers or something within the base class declaration, and then they are bound to real member functions via these macro things when needed. I dont know tho, but somebody does.

Famine: Each time it is "inherited" I don''t beleive that it actually makes a copy of the functions, it just creates one instance of the function, and passes the "this" pointer to said functions.

Xori: Email me, or find me online... (could you at least view the images?)

Email: Ready4Dis@aol.com
AIM: CrazyGuy4Eva
MSN: Ready4Dis_1@hotmail.com
Wojitos: After reading through a few lines of code, I think I''m sick . You check EVERY single key to see if it''s depressed?! Also, some buttons are in front of windows that are above them, which looks rather odd. Also, your window class handles your object''s getting clicked, etc... while I have my objects handling what happens when they are clicked. I also noticed that you check EACH object type in seperate loops.... I have a base class object, that each object is inherited by, so I can simply check my single linked list (linked lists are much better for this, because you don''t have to re-allocate memory, copy objects, and delete old memory.. you simply allocate the new block of memory, and update the pointers.) You''re code would be VERY difficult to add new objects too, as you''d have to go through and implement you''re object code within your window code, add extra loops, etc. With mine, you can add new objects without modifying my code base AT ALL. You simply inherit from the base class, create the object you''d like (with functions to handle KeyPress, MouseClick, and a few other actions), make a call to my window class'' Add_Object with a pointer to your object, and it will automagically handle it . No need to implement more loops, or other types of handling things, and no need to even understand any of my underlying code .

ps. This is meant to be constructive, if it comes off as me picking on you, sorry . I am going to finish up on writing this section of code (I was writing some debbuging code) and then I will make the sources available to anyone interested.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement