Bounding Box Physics

Started by
2 comments, last by YodaTheCoda 21 years, 2 months ago
I just wanna know where two moving, non-axis-aligned 3D boxes collide. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial?
Advertisement
...all the tutorials I''ve found so far seem to concentrate on boxes without velocity - all they do is check if one of the boxes in inside the other. What I have are two MOVING boxes. boxes which "move" between frames too. So with the static-box system thingy, if one box is going too fast, it''ll just pass right thru the other one. Not good. I want to be able to move the boxes only as far as they can go before they collide.
There are discussions out there dealing with swept volumes, e.g., intersect the volume swept out by an object over time rather than just the raw object shape. If you were dealing with spherical bounding volumes instead of box bounding volumes, then the bounding volumes would sweep out a capsule over a time step. You could do your collision detection between two capsules. With boxes, you would probably use a technique that tries to efficiently identify a separating axis between each pair of boxes. If there is a separating axis, then no collision.

I suspect what you will really want to do is look at this article by Dave Eberly:

www.magic-software.com/Documentation/IntersectionRotatingBoxes.pdf

and,

www.magic-software.com/Documentation/DynamicCollisionDetection.pdf

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement