• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maya and DirectX and video games

This topic is 5500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have downloaded the learning addition of Maya. I would like to draw some simple 3d shapes in Maya and then use them in a very simple C# directx app. Is this possible? Any tutorials or explanations someone could provide? Thanks in advance! Dan

Advertisement
goto the microsoft dx sdk and dl & install the .x-file exporter plugin. create some polygonal mesh in maya and then save it as a ".x" file. Now for the implementation....theres a tutorial at its most basic for loading x files in the Direct3d sdk. its under TUTORIALS. - loads static meshes. if your interested in loading mulitple meshes and animations or skinned meshes in a file then learn how to parse ".x" files. there are some articles here at game dev for that by jim adams and Sarmad Abdulla.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The learning edition of maya allows you to save files into a custom format created specifically for the learning edtion. Because it is the learning edtion of maya, the authors don''t want you to "rip them off" by not paying for the product. So there are currently no exporters which will export the Maya LE files into something that can be used anywhere but in Maya LE. Maya LE is specifically made for learning how to use maya, not for people looking for cheap modeling software to make game models.

I''m not sure if it works in Maya PLE but in GMax there is some sort of log that is used and you can make a plugin write your file to it and copy it (10k at a time) to a seperate file.

The version of the Maya Personal Learning Edition supplied with Unreal Tournament 2003 has an exporter to UnrealEd... i think. Perhaps you can go that way...

• Advertisement