Need ideas - FPS game with a plot?

Started by
17 comments, last by leet_llama 21 years, 2 months ago
Basically, I need an idea for an FPS game with a plot (consideirng I''m pretty cack at plots, and it''s hard to create a plot for an FPS anyway, I''m kind of lost). I want it to be set in the near future, and to have lots of shooting (as always) and possibly a love intrest or at least something that will move the player. I want something that will change the concept of FPS games, something that will completely immerse the player. I say again - it still has to have lots of shooting! Could someone give me some ideas?
:: http://www.bit-tech.net ::
Advertisement
Scientist Rock Doppler got bitten by ugly super-radioactive-giang-mutant-rat an he transforms to pink man who can kill everyone with his tail slash ????

i think that is pretty good one considered that it was made from stratch in 2 minutes :DDDDD

not seriously...
That might actually work except that a tail slash isn't a gun...

(and I want all the classic FPS weapons like a railgun (except it will be called a coilgun, which exists in real life and relies on a similar principle), a rocket launcher (fun), an EMP stun rifle, and a plasma gun

More ideas?

(of course it will also have a great multiplayer mode)

[edited by - leet_llama on February 3, 2003 7:47:13 AM]
Play System Shock II and you will know what it takes to create a great fps with a great story.
-------------Ban KalvinB !
wexi_: I may actually take that idea. I''ll mail you after thinking about it

Thing is, I want this game to totally redefine the meaning of "low-budget game". With the right software and the right people it should be possible to create a game that is easily as good as some of the higher-budget titles (for instance Unreal or SS2). I am currently working on a DirectX 9 based engine that exploits new DirectX technologies to look and feel better than Quake III or Unreal. The physics will also be super-realistic (each weapon will actually be simulated in real time, based on a real-life model of my own design). The reason why I choose a coilgun is because I''ve attempted to build one in real life so I know a lot of the physics involved.

I hope this game becomes something great - it''s about time the FPS genre had a proverbiable kick up the backside, and if it''s from a low-budget studio, all the better.
Maybe you''d be better off trying the game writing forum.

If you really want a plot-driven FPS, then you should steal the basic plotline from somewhere else. For Instance:

Just rip off the basic story of Ivanhoe, set it on the planet Saxonia, and let the player take the role of the Fetterlock Knight. You can fill the woods with killer animals and brigands, have Templars charging at you for no good reason, and have a groovy bonus level set on the planet Palestinar, where you blow the snot out of hordes of Sareconians in an attempt to reclaim the crashed mothership that has the DNA of your perfect genetically engineered leader cocooned inside.

If you want romance, Just have the character hook up with Rebecca (whom heals you with fusion and K-Y Jelly) halfway through.

The point is that every story has been done, and if you think of it yourself, it''ll be terribly corny, because you''ll think you''re being original and clever but everyone will remember that particular plot wrinkle from some seventies movie. So, unabashedly steal a great romantic epic, pervert it until it has coilguns and tight leather pants, then render it in glorious 3D and sell if for $35 shareware. Bam.
I think you''ve missed the chance to do something truly revolutionary. What you''re talking about is similar (if not equal to) an rpg shown in first person. Adding masses of guns to one has, i think, not been done yet, but it''s not that much of a stretch (and ever since unreal the straight up fps types have had a pretty coherent sequence of events if not a compelling story, assuming campaign mode)

Home is the realm of darkness.
Home is the realm of darkness.
Well, an FPS with a storyline isn''t completley unheard of- the venerable Marathon series, Deus Ex, and Max Payne come to mind offhand... Although I don''t have any specific ideas offhand, here are a couple of things to keep in mind.

First of all, how linear do you want your game to be? Deus Ex, for example, was very open-ended compared to, say, Max Payne, which was pretty much linear areas seperated by cutscenes. Going with the more linear approach is probably better if you want a straightforward action game, while the open-ended approach lends itself to a more RPG-ish product (as a sidenote, of course, the former would probably be much easier to write on a budget).

Then, of course, you''ve got a series of other decisions to make- setting, atmosphere, etc.- which will vary based on what exactly you want to do with your engine... For example, if you''ve decided to use a fantasy setting, you may want to consider working in a more complex melee combat engine than you''d otherwise use. If you''d like to lean toward a modern- or sci-fi setting, then you may want to consider whether you''re going to give the player any allies or team members.

Another question is how the plot will be told- cutscenes? text? If cutscenes, will they be voice-acted? If you look at the Marathon series and the more recent Halo (they''re both made by the same company, Bungie), one thing to note is that the change was made from a story told entirley through text-based terminals to cutscenes. In my opinion, the story suffered a bit because of this, if only becuase it''s easier to express a mass of backstory and background in text... No voice actors to hire or worry about, and giving the player 10 pages to read at their leisure is a little more user-friendly than breaking gameplay with a 45-minute cutscene. I''d be all for telling the main story with cutscenes, for example, and then giving the character a palm pilot or equivalent for less-vital background material (a la Splinter Cell).

If you''re working with a professional studio, and want to have an amazing plot but aren''t that good at writing them, you may also want to consider hiring/finding someone else to write the plot- even if you get the greatest idea, it doesn''t neccecarially mean that you''ll be able to tell it well if you''re not a writer by trade.

At any rate, that''s just sort of a brain dump of things to keep in mind- feel free to ignore any of it.

- HC

-- EMail: cloweh@rpi.edu
-- AIM: SeigfriedH
-- EMail: hlclower@comcast.net-- AIM: SeigfriedH
Here''s what I''ve decided on:

1. It''ll be team based (Halo)
2. It''ll be set on an alien planet (Quake II).

Now I need someone to suggest:

1. The objective (why you''re on the alien planet)
2. What happens in the end

Anyone suggest anything?
well checking out system shock 2 is a good idea, you can get the demo here: http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/systemshock2/ss2.exe.html

If you want it imersive, you need a nice setting. Personally I''d recomend a "cyber punk" style, or an alien style, in which everything looks all bizare, psycadelic, and biotechnical. Of corse thats just me. Rpg elements are nice for imersion, as is continued gameplay (no text messages saying the setting, or narator accept in the intro), no suddly ending up in a totally different setting. THe ability in interact and openended ness are also good. Lastly you might not want to show your caracter talking to anyone because then it won''t seem like you are the player. (for dialong you can sellect what to say but you don''t here it spoken.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement