Inverse kinematics tentacle

Started by
3 comments, last by Sander 21 years, 2 months ago
I have created a really cool waterlevel for my 3D game, but now I want to build the boss-level. I want to have a boss with nice tentacles to grab and smash te player. Like a squid or something. I think the best way to do this would be with inverse kinematics for the tentacles. Does anyone know resources about inverse kinematics or about tentacle motion? All google turned up were complicated robot IK papers, 2 resources from OpenGL.org (which i am about to look at) and some stuff for Lightwave 3D. Also, there were no papers in GameDev's article section. Thanx in advance! EDIT: spelling Sander Maréchal [Lone Wolves Production][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail] [edited by - smarechal on February 3, 2003 8:53:43 AM]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Advertisement
Some articles at www.darwin3d.com
Try here:
http://www.ioi.dk/Homepages/thomasj/publications/gdc2001.htm

or look up cyclic coordinate descent on google. This page is pretty good as well:

http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_ik.htm
Thanx guys. I pretty much got it working The IK is still a bit jumpy, but the CCD method does the trick. One other question: The papers you mentioned speak about adding "springyness" to the joints to make the IK move smoother but they don't say how to do this. Any idea on how I put this in the joints? I want the natural position of the tentacle to be fully stretched out (all rotations set to zero) and when he grabs the player I want the tentacle to find the most confortable position (ie the least amount of rotations per joint).

Thanks in advance!

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

[edited by - smarechal on February 5, 2003 4:50:00 AM]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Make the joints resist bending a bit, and have the algorithm accelerate the links instead of just rotating them. That way it''ll swing a bit past it target and look a bit "springy" I suppose.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement