• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

julienX

C++ The Complete Reference

This topic is 5672 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am considering buying this book soon to learn a lot more about c++. I just want to know whether its a good buy and worth my $, or if there is a similar book that you could recommend?? And I''ve already read all the reviews on Amazon, but I want to really make sure this is the book for me. (Oh yeah, does it have a solid coverage of linked lists?)

Advertisement
Lo,

C++: The Complete Reference By Herbert Schildt?

If so, it is a good book but mainly as a reference.

If you actually want to learn C++, I would recommend ''Teach Yourself C++'' by the same author. It starts from the very basics, upto the quite advanced giving exercises and plenty of examples throughout.

It assumes you do have at least a basic knowledge of C though.

Hope that helped....

CoiN

To know whether it is the book for you we need to know about you. Tell us your experience of other languages, experience of c++, age, motivation etc.

That book is pretty much my bible.

It has helped me through countless obstacles, so for me at least, it is a great buy. However, it is a reference book. So it is really meant for people who already know C++ but just want a reference.

--------------------
Nicholas Skapura
skapura.2@wright.edu
http://skap.8k.com
AIM: skap35

If you are looking for a language reference (as opposed to a tutorial/learning book) you want either:

The Annotated C++ Reference Manual
by Margaret Ellis and Bjarne Stroustrup

or

The C++ Programming Language
by Bjarne Stroustrup

Its a decent reference book, not good for learning from though. From time to time I''ve found things missing from this book and I''ve have to look elsewhere, like in the C++ standard itself. The book does cover the STL, but its only the commonly used features.

Guest Anonymous Poster
All Hail the Mightiest programming-language-reference-book author of them all Herbert Schildt.

Don''t know what the rest of y''all are talking about, I easily learned by reading his books and I still use them as references as well.

Hey thanks for the replies, but petewood you asked for my previous experience so you can recommend me something appropriate?

Ok, C++ is my first language and I have been learning it for about 4 months and have read "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days", (lol,it took me longer than 21 days!!)
but want to further my skills with the language, and become confident with advanced topics. I am keen to learn and I spend most of my time away from school reading and coding.

Ok can you now recommend a book for me??

Well that question is too broad, but I'm trying
Thanks guys (and gals )

Oh yeah, I'm 14 if it matters...

[edited by - julienX on February 4, 2003 6:37:03 AM]

14? that's a good time to learn a language, you'll have a lot of fun.

well, if you learned the basics and have a strong foundation, you can look around the internet for some advanced tutorials and guides, and then buy the C++: The Complete Reference book. i'm learning C++ in my computer science class right now (although we know considerably MUCH more than the instructor...it's not a very pretty sight when we contradict her, she's really retarded) and i have supplemented my course knowledge with online support, and now im going to go out and buy that book. woohoo! lol.

[edited by - sab3156 on February 4, 2003 8:17:27 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!