C++ The Complete Reference

Started by
13 comments, last by julienX 21 years, 2 months ago
quote:from the alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ FAQ
16: Why do many experts not think very highly of Herbert Schildt's
books?

A good answer to this question could fill a book by itself. While no book is perfect, Schildt's books, in the opinion of many gurus, seem to positively aim to mislead learners and encourage bad habits. Schildt's beautifully clear writing style only makes things worse by causing many "satisfied" learners to recommend his books to other learners.

Here is Google's cache of the ACCU review for that book, since the ACCU site is unfortunately down.

My conclusions :
- If you need an accurate reference you're much better off with "The C++ Language" by Stroustrup, possibly seconded by "The C++ Standard Library" by Josuttis.
- If you need a primer, "Essential C++" by Lipmann and "Accelerated C++" by Koenig & Moo are the way to go.

Coverage of linked lists is better done in a data structures or algorithms book. C++ does have a list class, which will be discussed in any and all of the aforementioned books.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on February 5, 2003 2:55:17 AM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
If you template by this book, your acceptance will rise!
''Accelerated c++'' koenig and moo - chew, digest, read again, ruminate.

I originally learned from ''the c++ primer plus'' which was enjoyable, amusing, clearly written etc. but had some faults. The examples were unrealistic, it wasn''t written with a deep understanding of object oriented ideas so was almost like C with classes, which seemed good for me at the time as I was coming from a C background. It was detrimental to me though as it has taken me years to get to grips with the ideas of encapsulation, contract, abstraction, polymorphism (buzz buzz buzz). Saying that though I think the experience of the writers is increasing all the time and better and better books are being written. Also there is more dross.

I recommend a book which understands classes as objects, uses the standard library extensively so you can get on with programming rather than how to write a linked list (although it is good to learn that, don''t get me wrong), teaches with clear realistic examples.

So, Koenig and Moo.

And the creator, Bjarne''s ''C++ Programming Language'' when you''ve already got 6 months - 1 year of hard study under your belt. It''s great but not for immediate beginners.
As suggested above, i would stay away from H. Schildts books.
I borrowed a few of his books on C++, and they do encourage some strange habits, that even i( as in me not being an expert could spot.

Not to encourage a crime or anything, but the Stroustrup book is available in PDF format alot of places. You might want to take a look at it from that source, or better yet in a bookstore featuring a chair and table That way you can if its the kind of book you are looking for before you buy it (and with that book you wont have to worry about the information being inaccurate
quote:Original post by Ziphnor
...they do encourage some strange habits.

Such as? (honestly interested )

pan narrans | My Website | Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement