• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heat Seeking Missile

This topic is 5587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I am toying with a 3D spacegame and I''m now at the stage of implementing heat seeking missiles. Not necessarily "heat" seeking but seeking the enemy to destroy it. I already have my own ideas on how to do this, but could anyone suggest some reading about the subject. I don''t want to start coding something only to find out that I could have done it much easier or with more cool features. It would be a short range missile system for use in aircombat. Thanks

Advertisement
It really depends how ''smart'' you want your missiles to be. A dumb missile might simply steer towards its target''s current position, a smarter one might take the target''s velocity into account, a still smarter one might also consider the target''s acceleration as well as attempt to avoid collisions with friendly targets.

It also depends how physically realistic your simulation is. Are you using a simple Wing Commander/X-Wing type physics or a more accurate model like Independence War?

For a simple example check out Steering Behaviors For Autonomous Characters. The seek/flee and pursue/evade behaviours should be particularly useful, and obstacle avoidance might be as well.

This is a slightly off-topic thought, but why not make the missiles actually heat seaking, and make all ships heat sources? Then it would be a snap to add countermeasures.

modern heat seeking missles dont actually fly straight for the heat source, they aim to fly towards the future position of the target.

Dobbs,

Thanks for the links! It looks very interesting..!

Sounds to me like you been doing this sorta stuff yourself??

Glad to help with the link, it''s a really great read that I picked up from someone on these very forums a while back (thanks to whomever that was, I''ve long since forgotten).

I''ve been thinking this same topic a lot recently since I''m also toying with the idea of making a space game (although I''m probably going to use 3d graphics and 2d gameplay for simplicity). Unfortunately I''ve just moved and I''ve been way too disorganized & busy to try implementing anything, although I''m itching to get started. Best of luck to you!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!