• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kavos

You will not believe this people! *Read*

This topic is 6910 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Remember that little game I posted here last night? (scroll down, you''ll find the message) Seems geocities suspened my homestead... Why? Beets me... Keep in mind I created my homestead last night as well, Its is (or was to be) a game programing site. So the first thing I did upload my little Star Ripper game. It was getting late so I opted not to work on my site last night and just posted the addy here for you all to download. I got this in the e-mail today: "Your Homestead (trevor_mccort) has been suspended based upon our belief that you are in violation of the Yahoo! GeoCities Terms of Service. Your Homestead will be deleted and the associated Yahoo! account is subject to closure 7 days from the date on which this message was sent. If you feel that your site has been suspended erroneously or you have other questions, please write to geo-guidelines@yahoo-inc.com BEFORE the end of this 7 day period. By creating and using your Yahoo! Geocities account, you agree to abide by Yahoo! GeoCities Terms of Service (TOS). Pursuant to the TOS, Yahoo! reserves the right to terminate your account or otherwise prohibit use of your account in the event that, among other things, Yahoo! believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the TOS. Should you decide to build another Homestead, please pay close attention to the Terms of Service. In particular, please note paragraph (o): You agree to not use the Service to: ... (o) use your home page (or directory) as storage for remote loading or as a door or signpost to another home page, whether inside or beyond Yahoo GeoCities;" We encourage you to review the Yahoo! GeoCities Terms of Service at: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/geoterms.html. Thank you for your cooperation. Regards, GeoCities" Now uhhh keep in mind the only things I have done is what i said above. Comments?

Advertisement
I downloaded and enjoyed playing your little game, even though it really has no progression . Anyway, the part about "use your home page (or directory) as storage for
remote loading" is applicable, as people essentially did not load a page on your site and then click on a link to the file from there. Rather, everyone (like me) probably just loaded your direct file link (ending in ".zip") into the browser.

In other words, don''t post a direct link to the file...give a link to a ".html" page on your site instead that has a link on it to the file.

P.S.=I had the same thing happen to me at fortunecity.com, when I used the 20MB of storage they gave me (which was ENORMOUS when I signed up for it compared to other web site services at the time) to store some files for friends to download and just gave them direct links to those files.

Good luck!

Hehe thanks, What I was saying though was that was suspending my acount really nessicary? A warning would have been nice.

~Kavos

I''d E-mail them and ask them if they would put the page back up if you changed it to comply with their terms. It bothers me that they didn''t post a warning first.

Spaceports is much better than GeoCities, check it out at spaceports.com. They offer CGI and FTP, and "unlimited" space, with very few limitations and rules.

Visit our web site:
Asylum Entertainment

Hey Kavos..
I''d reckon that geocities has a program that looks though all of the geocities sites looking for any domains which don''t contain htm, html or other internet related files. If this is the case then you could have prevented it by uploading an empty html file...
Just a thought.
davior

quote:
Original post by davior
I''d reckon that geocities has a program that looks though all of the geocities sites looking for any domains which don''t contain htm, html or other internet related files. If this is the case then you could have prevented it by uploading an empty html file...

I would probably would have thought if any files without the .html or .htm, etc extension which has a non-geocities refering URL when you use the GET method through HTTP goes and warns yahoo about it. Anyway, if i''ld have set up the system that''s how i would do it, that would get past the empty html files thing you suggested. You can tell im a Perl programmer

jumble
---------------
"Witty comment needed for signature. Current owner has no sense of humour"

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!