• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nathany

MMX, where supported?

This topic is 6921 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I haven''t actually learned any MMX yet... but I''m wondering what computers support it (i.e. first Pentium Mhz)? Pretty old, probably pretty common... so maybe I ca require it? On a side note, afaik the inline ASM in VC5 doesn''t support MMX and all that... I can get MASM from the DDK, any ideas on how to set that up so it works from Visual Studio? Thanks, Nathan. nathany.com

Advertisement
The first pentiums didn''t support MMX, i think it was only until the Pentium 200 (or 166) MHz that MMX came out. It probably won''t be a bad idea to require it because all Pentium 2s & 3s support it, and hardly anyone has a processor less than 200MHz

+AA_970+

quote:
Original post by +AA_970+
The first pentiums didn''t support MMX, i think it was only until the Pentium 200 (or 166) MHz that MMX came out. It probably won''t be a bad idea to require it because all Pentium 2s & 3s support it, and hardly anyone has a processor less than 200MHz

Yah, chances are my game will end up requiring a 166/200 Mhz processor anyway.

Anybody have any idea on when MMX first appeared on Cyrix and AMD chips?

- n8

nathany.com

I think there are MMX and non-MMX versions of the P166 and P200. I think AMD processors support MMX since K6-II.

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA

Guest Anonymous Poster
AMD K6-200 supports MMX.

Marcus

quote:
Original post by LackOfKnack
3DNow! = MMX compatible? Or did it support both?

Two separate, but similar things. And they supported both.

Thanks everyone, sounds like basically a 200 Mhz machine as a target will have MMX built in already. Could always do an unMMX version of my routines, but for a freeware game... nah

Now I just need to learn how to code it... any urls, book titles, resources welcome...

Thanks, Nathan

nathany.com

> Now I just need to learn how to code it... any urls, book titles, resources welcome...

Intels website. They have some great examples plus the whole reference manual and all those goodies

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous

quote:
Original post by Staffan
Intels website. They have some great examples plus the whole reference manual and all those goodies

I found some stuff their. Guess that''s what it will have to be, because all the books on the topic seem to be out of print.

Right now I just downloaded MASM 6.14 from Microsoft''s web site. I''m trying to figure out the custom build stuff in VC5 so I can use DevStudio for both C/ASM. Fun stuff

- n8

nathany.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!