• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nathany

top-down shoot'em up. post your ideas

This topic is 6909 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am planning to develop a classic style top down shoot'em up which will be released as freeware, both betas and the final version. The game is currently in the design phase. Games "inspired by" include: Raptor, DemonStar, Tyrian, Blazing Lazers (TG16), Galaga'90 (TG16), Space Bats of Doom, OverKill, River Raid (but not any of the "unique" features of Hasbro/Atari's River Raid). Of course I have various ideas of my own that I'm just getting on paper now. Anyway, if you have any ideas or suggestions for this type of game, feel free to post 'em. Story, easter eggs, other top down shoot'em up games you like, whatever. Thanks, Nathan. nathany.com Edited by - nathany on 5/14/00 2:06:42 AM

Advertisement
Ooooh gggoddd!!! Thank you for considering about creating 2D-shooter , and even better, TRADITIONAL ONE! Tyrian is one of the greatest Shareware games I have EVER, EVER EVER played, simply because it''s so complicated

I would love to play new shooter, and here are some ideas/suggestions:

1. Use colors! Make the game look REALLY CANDY , like Tyrian and Settlers did
2. Put lots of weapons, levels, ships, and everything! Everything that player can config even a little bit, is big plus!
3. Think about something really unique. I have had fun idea about this kind of plot :
"... After nations started world war III in 2043, sides blablbalblablabla-blaa... Now after thousand years , people who fleed from war are coming back to revenge! You are in control of fighter, mission: kick some butt
Now, this doesn''t sound too unique, but setup could make lots of cool and fun ideas:
Example: Earth would be divided for sectors. Player has to conquer all the sectors to win the game. Sometimes computer tries to conquer sectors from player!
Now, when player is flying, he wouldn''t be alone; sometimes he could see how friendly fighters are flying over the screen and shooting everything that they can.
4. There could be reason why the fighter cannot turn.This could be that the ship is kind of "catapulted" from mothership with enormous speed, and so it can only manage to turn so little that it can avoid incoming objects.
5. Sometimes player could turn and change direction! This could be even automatic, but it would be fun to see how fighter makes turning arc when it''s turning 90 degrees, and now the screen is scrolling lef t or right...

Boy, there are so many things that could be done

-Paladin

quote:
Original post by nathany

Anyway, if you have any ideas or suggestions for this type of game, feel free to post ''em. Story, easter eggs, other top down shoot''em up games you like, whatever.

I liked very much vertical shoot''em ups like Raiden, Xenon II Megablast, 1942, 1943, Flying Shark, Xevious and Slapfight.

Don''t forget to include the GREAT "two-player-at-once" game option. Today''s games lack of this feature and I miss it very much.

BTW, I''m developing a similiar game... so if you like to debate on this topic...

Bye,

Karmalaa

Just don''t make it a one hit wonder game where you die after one hit. Man, I hate games like that. Stresses me out. Serenity now

Also make the weapons look really cool. Have lots of crap flying around. Lots of homing missles

And try to keep the number of useless guns down. Some of the weapons in Tyrian only fired to the sides. Kinda sucks when the powerups are your enemies too

I think the key is to make the player feel really powerful. It feels good to mow down wave after wave of enemies and only dying when the odds are really impsossible.

I love shooters

My favorite game was Overkill (or maybe I''m confusing it with Raptor), anyways, I liked getting powerup things, but being able to choose when I wanted to upgrade. For example, I could just keep using my upgrades right when I got them, or I could wait a little while, until the upgrade got better before using it. I hope that made sense. Also the level was kinda like a maze, because you couldn''t bump into the walls, so you went along trying to avoid the walls while at the same time killing the monsters, and avoiding the bullets and stuff. But there wasn''t so much going on that you didn''t have any control, if you died it was because you should have dodged the bullet by going left instead of going right and not noticing another bullet was coming down on the right, you didn''t die because bullets were coming down on both sides, and you didn''t have a choice. That gives me an idea!! Put in some simple AI, so the bad guys only shoot at you if you have an escape route.
Also, HAVE A BOSS, I hate game without bosses, and give him a routine and all, like ram forward, fall back slowly, fire a little, ram forward, fall back slowly, etc. When you hit him, make sure the player knows he is damaging him. I hate shooting at an enemy for an hour, only to find out I had to shoot at a certain place, and all the other shots were useless (that sucks).
Thats all I got to say, goodluck.

quote:
Original post by Paladin
Tyrian is one of the greatest Shareware games I have EVER, EVER EVER played, simply because it''s so complicated

Yah, it''s cooL. There is a Tyrian 2000 update (see link above, it''s not from Epic)... too bad it is still DOS. My SB Live isn''t supported, nor is my MS Gamepad... kinda takes the fun out of it.

quote:

2. Put lots of weapons, levels, ships, and everything! Everything that player can config even a little bit, is big plus!

Well, I also have a few ideas for in game bonuses... plus I''m love the way the bonuses weapon config works in Blazing Lazers (TG16).

But for ultimate tweaking, you really need the store feature [or similar]. So either I will do arcade/story modes like Tyrian... or just combine the two in someway [still thinking:]

quote:

Example: Earth would be divided for sectors. Player has to conquer all the sectors to win the game. Sometimes computer tries to conquer sectors from player!

interesting idea.

quote:

Now, when player is flying, he wouldn''t be alone; sometimes he could see how friendly fighters are flying over the screen and shooting everything that they can.

yes. i have thought of this, plus ground troops and civilians. wingmen may be of more assistace than the others.

part of the reason for this is to make it so you have to be careful where you are shooting. it might be the case that you get paid for shooting enemies, but lose money for destroying civilian buildings (damages).

quote:

5. Sometimes player could turn and change direction! This could be even automatic, but it would be fun to see how fighter makes turning arc when it''s turning 90 degrees, and now the screen is scrolling lef t or right...

hm. i will have to think about that one. could be a bit awkward as far as the user interface.

i do plan to have a small amount of horizontal scrolling all the time though (Blazing Lazers and DemonStar)

quote:

Boy, there are so many things that could be done

for sure.

Thanks, Nathan.

nathany.com

quote:
Original post by karmalaa
I liked very much vertical shoot''em ups like Raiden, Xenon II Megablast, 1942, 1943, Flying Shark, Xevious and Slapfight.

I''m not familiar with a good number of those... I will have to search around for their titles and see what''s unique with them. So much to do

quote:

Don''t forget to include the GREAT "two-player-at-once" game option. Today''s games lack of this feature and I miss it very much.

Two player arcade mode on one machine, guaranteed. LAN/Internet support for two player... maybe, but not added until near the end. Hopefully not designing with LAN/Internet support from the start won''t be a problem for this type of game.

- n8

nathany.com

quote:
Original post by buh
Just don''t make it a one hit wonder game where you die after one hit. Man, I hate games like that.

Yah. Me too. I rather where you can have shields and only one life (i.e. Raptor). With unlimited continues and save/restore vs. lifes because it''s more realistic (well, as realistic as having an F15 with a force field is).

quote:

Also make the weapons look really cool. Have lots of crap flying around. Lots of homing missles

He.he. Fire all missiles. [Robotech/Macross]

Might need a "safety" for that one

quote:

And try to keep the number of useless guns down. Some of the weapons in Tyrian only fired to the sides. Kinda sucks when the powerups are your enemies too

Power downs, no. Enemies stealing your power ups, maybe. Shooting extra bombs causing explosions vs. collecting by moving over them... probably.

quote:

I think the key is to make the player feel really powerful. It feels good to mow down wave after wave of enemies and only dying when the odds are really impsossible.

Yah. Having the right level of challenge is important. And having some tough spots, along with some breaks and bonus waves to mix it up a bit. Will come up in level design...

Also that reminds me: difficulty levels. Must come up with inventive names for Easy, Normal, Hard, Impossible.

- n8

nathany.com

quote:
Original post by Piksel
My favorite game was Overkill (or maybe I''m confusing it with Raptor), anyways, I liked getting powerup things, but being able to choose when I wanted to upgrade. For example, I could just keep using my upgrades right when I got them, or I could wait a little while, until the upgrade got better before using it. I hope that made sense. Also the level was kinda like a maze, because you couldn''t bump into the walls, so you went along trying to avoid the walls while at the same time killing the monsters, and avoiding the bullets and stuff. But there wasn''t so much going on that you didn''t have any control, if you died it was because you should have dodged the bullet by going left instead of going right and not noticing another bullet was coming down on the right, you didn''t die because bullets were coming down on both sides, and you didn''t have a choice.

That''s Overkill.

I like the maze type thing and want to do that for some levels. Overkill reminds me of River Raid (Atari) in some ways... which was pretty cool in it''s day (even if only flying a plane over water doesn''t make much sense: it was supposed to be a boat but it''s hard to make a boat at so low res so it got changed to a plane).

As for the power up system, I will have to see if I can get Overkill working again as I don''t remember exactly how that works. I found Overkill pretty challenging, so I never got all the power ups anyway (didn''t even pass planet 1)

I am kind of biased towards the power up method vs. the store, so if it can be implemented in an interesting way that gives similar configurability to Tyrian, that would be way cooL. On the other hand, my bro. prefers the store where you can tweak your ship... what do others think?

quote:

That gives me an idea!! Put in some simple AI, so the bad guys only shoot at you if you have an escape route.

That''s original... on the easy difficulty level, extra AI routines are used to help make the baddies go easier on you

quote:

Also, HAVE A BOSS, I hate game without bosses, and give him a routine and all, like ram forward, fall back slowly, fire a little, ram forward, fall back slowly, etc. When you hit him, make sure the player knows he is damaging him. I hate shooting at an enemy for an hour, only to find out I had to shoot at a certain place, and all the other shots were useless (that sucks).

Must have level bosses. Sometimes one, sometimes more than one. If you played Galaga''88 (Arcade) or Galaga''90 (TG16) [same game] they have something else interesting that I''d like to do sometimes. At the end of a level, have a formation of smaller aliens that swoop down at you ... and you have to destroy them all.

quote:

Thats all I got to say, goodluck.

Thanks. I''m sure there are lots more ideas... as always, the tough part is going to be figuring out what not to implement, and focusing on enjoyment rather than every feature imaginable! But it''s always good to "blue sky"...

Thanks everyone, and please keep ideas coming. Sorry it took me a while to get back, I''m starting to wish I checked off the email notification option for this thread... because there is no way to change that now. But I will read every post, multiple times probably.

- n8

nathany.com

im more inclined towards the store idea as well
(im doing something similar - a horizonal arcade shooter)

yeah - must have bosses. Big ones. and make em so that the player has to have some strategy to defeat them (weak points and so on, changing behavior patterns...)

Tyrian and Raptor are great, anyone know some cool parallax-scroller?

I must admit I rather disliked the two in one idea in tyrian, everything got so complicated with two ships firing, and you couldn´t stop accidental link-up.

Hope to hear more

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!