top-down shoot'em up. post your ideas

Started by
30 comments, last by nathany 23 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by nathany

Original post by Hase
The 3D-part….

Also scenes between levels are important. Like flying high above a planet and at the end of the level entering the atmosphere. In the next level you start out in the clouds and slowly descend to ground level.

Is it really worth putting in a story?

That''s a good question… how many people would tend to skip over the cinematics while playing (if there were cinematics)? How often would you like to see cinematics (i.e. every 3 levels?)

Maybe this is a good reason to have story/arcade modes like Tyrian though. Arcade mode wouldn''t have any cinematics.

The scenes between levels could be cool… short enough that i don''t think people would skip them.

- n8

I didn´t mean cinematics, for a one man show they´re too much bother anyway. What i meant was very short in-game bits, not like a cut-scene but one that lasts 5-10 seconds, and maybe lets you fly the plane (possibly show the score/kill list?) while something cool happens.

Examples:
fighter plane picked up by mothership
landing on some kind of carrier
entering atmosphere (red glow around ship -> turns into fireball)
diving through a cloud layer (first part above the cloud, then a fade to white and back again below the clouds -> ground visible)

stuff like that …

nathany.com

Advertisement
Let''s see now... this is what I like about shooters.

1) I should be rewarded by the effort I put into mashing buttons, there was this one shoot them up I played where the MORE you mashed the button, you actually got powered up!

2) Lots of explosions when stuff die, but.... the explosions shouldn''t get in the way. Prefedably explosions are blended instead of fully opaque.

3) Bombs should be instantenous on release, I prefer to use bombs to help me get out of tight situations... or you can have a few types of bombs like in Raiden 2, where you had a slow acting megabomb, and a fast acting missle cluster.

4) You need to have LOTS of powerups to satisfy the power up hungry, the best example of this is GigaWing by Capcom where just by reflecting the shots of your enemies you get TONS of powerups and stuff.

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement