• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WhiteWolf

What database software to use in Net game?

This topic is 6917 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I am currently developing a massively multiplayer game. My question is - What sort of database software is good to use to hold all of the player data (saved) and the current game state? Note that I wish to have the option to run the server on a Linux box, but the main game will be DirectX. Is it feasible to use database software, or is it better to code all the data storage in the game? Regards, WhiteWolf

Advertisement
Hmmm... if you REALLY want to use databases, then I would use SQL. It''s fast and uncomplicated (once you get the jist of it). There is a library out there that will let you use with with C++ (i think it''s called SQLLib - not sure though).

MENTAL

You might want to look at MySQL for your database engine. It runs on various platforms, including Linux and Windows, and best of all, it''s free for personal use! Be sure to get MyODBC, which gives you ODBC drivers to use on the client side.

Note: SQL is not a database, it''s a database language. Still, my experiences with SQL is plain nice.

http://www.mysql.com/

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

I''ve been programmin with PHP3 and MySql for the last two years and I have to agree, SQL as a language is very easy and understandable (be sure to get the documentation). The thing is that after about two months of working with is I no longer needed the basic commands, there was this great program called phpmyadmin that did everything for you, all you had to do was write the ''select'' statement. The beauty of it is that php3 is about 70% C++ commands.
You may be wondering what this does for you... I''m not sure honestly, I just woke up and I am kinda babbling. Well, I''ll say this If you need any help with MySQL then I will be here.

hmm, maybe I will do an admin program in C++ for mysql.. will think on it

Guest Anonymous Poster
You should look into PostgreSQL as an alternative to MySQL. Not only is PostgreSQL more reliable, but the license terms are superior compared to MySQL. Although PostgreSQL is slower than MySQL, this shouldn''t matter much as you will not want to use it to maintain game state. Game state should be kept in RAM; it''s not a good idea to do a database query for every little change in game state.

Are there any PostreSQL ODBC drivers for Win32 platforms? That is the biggest advantage of using MySQL over any other RDBMS, it runs on BOTH Linux and Win32, and a Win32 client can communicate with the linux database server via ODBC.

I don''t know much about it, but maybe our "Anonymous poster" friend can enlighten us about Win32/ODBC support for PostgreSQL?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by orycterope

Are there any PostreSQL ODBC drivers for Win32 platforms? That is the biggest advantage of using MySQL over any other RDBMS, it runs on BOTH Linux and Win32, and a Win32 client can communicate with the linux database server via ODBC.

I don''t know much about it, but maybe our "Anonymous poster" friend can enlighten us about Win32/ODBC support for PostgreSQL?

To be honest with you I don''t really know whether PostgreSQL supports ODBC or Win32. It''s quite irrelevant in this case, as it''s not a good idea for a multiplayer game client to interface directly with the database backend. Only the game server should communicate with the database system. The server and database system run under Linux (no need for ODBC) while the client runs under Win32. Because the client uses a custom protocol to communicate with the game server, there''s no need for database connectivity within the client.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!