• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AcRiD_aCiD

beat 'em up

This topic is 5730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
good beat-em-ups informal esp. N. Amer. - n. River City Ransom. see Brass Knuckles & Belt Buckles.

[edited by - bluegrass on February 6, 2003 7:39:57 PM]

Agreed. BARF! Heh, heh. River City Ransom owns. I have no idea what half the items are for, but it''s still a truly terrific game, and deserves mention.

The first Double Dragon game was also fantastic, though the series started to suck with #2, and slid swiftly downhill.

Battletoads, as well as the whole Final Fight series, are fairly typical, and there are also very crappy beat-em-ups, like Renegade.

More modern B-E-Us tend to be 3d, to an extent, and depend more on graphics than on gameplay. Really, until something new and wonderful comes along, I''ll hold to my opinion that the NES is the domain of the finest Beat-em-ups, and if anyone disagrees, then I''ll see you by the bike rack after school.

quote:
Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Really, until something new and wonderful comes along, I''ll hold to my opinion that the NES is the domain of the finest Beat-em-ups, and if anyone disagrees, then I''ll see you by the bike rack after school.
How about arcades like the Punisher, Aliens vs. Predator, Knights of the Round, the X-Men?

Beantas, thank you. How could I have overlooked X-Men? Had I put a quarter in a bottle for every quarter I fed to that game, I''d have one heavy bottle by now.

As to AvP and KotR, meh. I''ve never played Punisher, so I can''t comment there.

I guess nobody ever actually defined what a beat-em-up is. Here''s my off-the-cuff definition: A beat-em-up game is a sort of an adventure game, where the hero(es) walk through a (traditionally side-scrolling) world pummelling hordes of bad guys. Many have weapons that you can pick up, but you''ll spend most of your time beating the tar out of thugs with your fists and feet. Many have 2 or more player options, and use an isometric viewpoint. They''re a lot of fun, if they''re done well, but many are either ridiculously difficult (to get those quarters) or too damn easy.

Postscript: Golden Axe

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!