• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krez

accessing the code part of a running EXE

This topic is 5730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i believe one could read the memory of the instructions part of a loaded EXE, but i have no idea how to do this, or what to even search for. could someone throw me a bone? just to be clear, i am hoping to read sections of a client program''s machine code to compare to precalculated value, for verification against cracks for an online game. i.e. the server can request a checksum for some randomly picked code block, and then compare that to what it should be, to make sure nobody is using a cracked client. that''s possible, right?

Advertisement
your exe is loaded in memory starting with "hinstance" offset from zero, and you can find things inside it with imagehlp/dbghelp libraries.

See also ReadProcessMemory - you might also want to get a copy of Jeff Richter''s "Programming Applications" too.

"It is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of their leaders. That is easy. All you have to tell them is that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
Hermann Goering

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!