• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Igilima

Win2K not providing 24bit or 32bit d3d device?

This topic is 5584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I was running variation of the d3dapp framework class that I am working on and found that it is not enumerating D3DFMT_R8G8B8, D3DFMT_AR8G8B8, or D3DFMT_XR8G8B8 on my Win2K machines. It only gets D3DFMT_R5G6B5 modes. Same code gets the D3DFMT_XR8G8B8 mode and the D3DFMT_R5G6B5 mode on my XP, 98 and Me machines. (This is not a graphics card thing since my 2 Win2K machines have a TNT2 and a GeForce4 in them. Also my 98 machine has a TNT2 and it got D3DFMT_XR8G8B8 just fine.) So, does Win2K limite Direct3D to 16bit? Or does it enumerate them in a strange way that the d3dapp code does not handle properly?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
p3 1ghz - win2k sp3 - GeForce2 64mb
D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8 is enumerated

Found my problem. I had accidentally limitted the number of modes it could enumerate to 100 because I was trying to guarantee that it wouldn''t overflow the modes array in d3dapp.

Odd that Win2K came out with different behavior from XP, 98 and Me.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!