• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kevinj

Free freeware networking API

This topic is 5670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
wow. Only $100 if you want it to actually be useful. Only $2000 to be able to fix their generic source so it''s efficient for your needs and then beable to sell your product how you want.

Winsock/DirectPlay aren''t nearly complicated enough to warrent paying for someone elses implementation of them. It took me 2 hours to get DirectPlay 7 working having never used it before. The only reason I didn''t go with DP8 is because it''s not easily contained in a swappable class.

Let''s see: $2000 for something that

a) you need to learn anyway if you expect to do on-line projects
b) amounts to hardly a fraction of your projects code base
c) would only take a couple weeks to make yourself by gleaming on-line resources.

How many serious programmers working on the network portion of an on-line project who don''t know Winsock are getting paid $1000 a week?

Connect, send, getmessage, disconnect are the four basic public methods you need in a networking class. That takes very little time to get going. I had my self contained TCP winsock class written and working in a day. UDP can then be transparently worked in over time without interupting the game itself.

Every game project is different so you only need those four little functions in a class and they are not worth $2000. The real time is spent on the messaging system which you can''t get prepackaged because every game is different.

Freeware libraries are for educational purposes only. Not serious work.

I noticed they claimed that no projects outside of MS use DirectPlay professionally. Which I don''t believe is even true. I wonder how many professional projects use their API. I wouldn''t suspect many.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Labyrinth | DevZone | Indie Mail | Hosting | Tiberian Merchandise | GameShot | Fun With Cutouts ]

You really should be suspicious of groups that appear to hold a personal grudge against its competitors. Seems just a bit too negative.

RapscallionGL - arriving soon.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!