• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metal Typhoon

animation of a weapon

This topic is 5584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
it depends on what you want the animation to look like

recoil could simply be translating the weapon towards the user over a short period of time and then moving it back

I''m u wanna animate what type of animation do u want to achieve??

If u want to make your gun rattle when it fires then u can just randomly slightly translate and rotate it from it''s idle position.

For most guns you''s probably translate it backwards then forewards to show the recoil when firing.

as i am not yet a game developer i cannot truly say. but i would expect a professional game programmer to use some parts of a physics engine to do some of the recoiling and rattling...otherwise, it'll look pretty fake i would think.

[edited by - sab3156 on February 7, 2003 11:24:43 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
games such as CounterStrike and Quake III use an instance of their own model format (.mdl, .md3) as the gun. They have precompiled animations for each possible action of the gun, which is put through a physics engine before it is compiled (and obviously some poor bloke spentweeks tweaking it making sure it looks right...)

CounterStrike is not a game, but a Mod for a game called Half-Life, which uses skeletal animation as a basis for its models. Each model is give a skeleton, whose bones are animated.

ToohrVyk
-------------
Extatica - a free 3d game engine
Available soon!
Click here to learn more

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
CounterStrike is not a game, but a Mod for a game called Half-Life...

CounterStrike is not a game, it is a way of life.

OK, it''s just a game. Saying a mod is not a game is splitting hairs...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!