Visual C# for Tools.

Started by
2 comments, last by Antony52 21 years, 2 months ago
Does anybody knows whether game companies are using Visual C# to build tools like level editors etc.?
Advertisement
I think it''s still too new, but I''m just pulling that answer out of my butt. Most of the professional stuff I read about is using C++ or rarely Visual Basic. I haven''t heard of any professional development houses using C# for making their tools.
Personally, I think I''m one of the few doing it right now, but I''m in the process of developing a level editor for my newest 2D game in C#. It''s more of an experiment rather than a requirement as the current C++ editor is already finished, but depending on the length of time it takes to finish the editor and the complexity of the code (which isn''t really that hard) my company may decide to switch to C# for future utility endeavours (sp?).

DracosX:

Master of the General Protection Fault
DracosX:Master of the General Protection Fault
I have never heard about any companies that use C# for their gamedev tools.

Although C# is a good idea for tools since it is easy to use, there is, however, reasons for making both tools and game engine in C++. The main one is that you can share code between the tools and the engine so you don''t have to write and debug the renderer twice. At our company our editor/tools is actually the same exe as the game engine, i.e. the editor/tools are integrated with it. The advantage of this is that game designers can see what they do directly in the game wihout having to run things through a seperate set of tools - this reduces the production cycle time and therefor increases productivity for game designers. In fact, a game designer can place some element on screen - hit the play button in our editor and then see the effect immediately in the game.

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.
Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement