Does anyone use C?

Started by
34 comments, last by Ratsrik 21 years, 2 months ago
some people kind of... overuse the OOP functionality of C++. i mean yeah, you could use classes to write an ADT for a program, but really, is there any advantage? granted there will sometimes be advantages to this method (i.e. creating a "backbone" for a plugin system, much like the SDK for milkshape) but other times it will be rather redundant and useless.

being taught on BASIC (yes BASIC, i still prefer it although C/C++ isn''t so bad ) i kind of do things more procedurally than most C++ programmers. for example the andy pike DX tutorials have you create classes for everything -- objects, the program -- and for some things, it is good to have a class for (when i think of an object i think of it having properties. so it should be a class) but for the program? just seems kinda stupid to me.

anyway i probably could get along quite nicely with plain C, but there are a few C++ functions that i use (namely class member functions, i''m pretty sure they aren''t in C) so for now i''m using it.
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Drakex
some people kind of... overuse the OOP functionality of C++.

And some people... don''t understand OOP at all...

"I know very well who Satan is: He is freedom. He is the uncontrolled, the incalculable, the antithesis of order and discipline, the antithesis of the legalism of outer space.... We know where a planet will be in twelve years, four months and nine days. But we don''t know where a butterfly will have flown one minute hence. Therefore the butterfly is of Satan."
-- Jens Bjørneboe
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
"And some people... don't understand OOP at all..."

and some people... think they're so great...

[edited by - Drakex on February 10, 2003 8:38:32 PM]
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
quote:Original post by Yann L
* virtual functions: introduce a slight overhead, for a virtual table lookup.
Overhead? Compared to what?
quote:* overloaded operators can introduce overheads, if they are not well designed. ... the optimizer can catch a lot ... it depends on the experience of the programmer.
Yes, experience and a decent compiler will eliminate the temporaries.

Your other points look about right.
So i guess C only suprass C++ in being easier to start out and more portable right now? But i was wondering if you can mix the too languages if you use the same compiler for them, like compiling things in c and in c++ and them linking the objects... aren''t both of them "turned into assembly code"(something like that)?
And I guess portability means nothing if you want to use DX, altought people say MSVC++ dont like ANSI standards...
----------------------------I would rather burn dollars than USA flags... but they are too expensive!
quote:Original post by guitarplayer
So i guess C only suprass C++ in being easier to start out and more portable right now? But i was wondering if you can mix the too languages if you use the same compiler for them, like compiling things in c and in c++ and them linking the objects... aren''t both of them "turned into assembly code"(something like that)?
And I guess portability means nothing if you want to use DX, altought people say MSVC++ dont like ANSI standards...

Where C surpasses C++ is a matter of opinion. I personally like much of C over C++. the only C++ stuff I use is the ability to have classes and inheritance. Otherwise, most of it is C. that''s just my opinion though.

If you were to mix the two (which I do plenty of), then you can use a C++ compiler. While there are some differences between writing C using a C compiler and C using a C++ compiler, they''re still basically the same.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement